2.5GB of RAM or 2.0GB ???

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by rimmer, May 27, 2007.

1. rimmer

rimmer Geek

Hi all, quick question. I use my PC for gaming, and I am awaiting a major upgrade, when I save up. Within the next week I am ordering a thermaltake TR2 500Watts, because its cheap and heard its reliable. Soon afterwards I will upgrade my RAM

I currently have 2x256MB (512MB RAM) in dual channel at DDR333 speed. My board can support DDR400 and 500. If I get another 2 GB 2x1GB in DDR400, I know it will clock down to DDR333 if I keep my current RAM as well as the new.

My question is, is it worth keeping my 512MB as well as the 2GB to make 2.5GB, OR will it have a perfomance hit in my games. I play games like CS:S, BF2, FEAR and my setup when I am done will be:

Athlon 64 X2 4800+ socket 939 w/coolermaster hyper6+
    AGP Radeon 1950 Pro 512MB
    320GB Seagate SATA 2
    nFORCE 3 Board (epox 9nda3i)
    Thermaltake TR2 500Watts 36A 2x 18A

So, will having DDR333 speeds decrease perfomance in games? Or should I just take out the 512 and just have 2GB at DDR400?

Cheerz

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, you're going to look at dimishing returns with Windows XP/Vista 32-bit, unless you move to the 64-bit versions of the OS.

If you run 4 sticks of dual-sided RAM (RAM chips on both sides are the defenition of dual-sided RAM), the Athlon64 will probably need to be run with the RAM at PC2700/DDR333 speeds. The good news is that this matters a negligable amount, which is only really defined by benchmarking. Even then, the amount is so piddly, it's barely noticeable there, much less when you use the system.

3. rimmer

rimmer Geek

Ah, that reminds me, the current 2x256MB Sticks I have in now, are both DDR but the chips are only on one side of the stick itself, the other side is just empty. They are KINGSTON value DIMMs. My new RAM DIMMs are each going to be 1GB DIMMs, and I assume double sided like my old 512s sticks that are now in my dad's pc, as I am awaiting this major upgrade.

About the OSs: I am hoping to run Windows XP Home 32 bit on one hard drive and Vista Ultimate 64 Bit on the other. I know that XP home picks up a max of about 2.75GB and Pro goes to jus over 3GB.

Anyway, I am going to use XP home for games that wont work on the new vista platform in 64 bit (e.g. Battlefield 2, Need for speed Carbon), and use the vista partition for new games e.g. Halo 2, STALKER - shadow of chernobyl, and run steam games on it, as valve are kind enough to fully support the new 64bit platform and vista.

I am still going to be on AGP and DDR1 socket 939 dual core CPu, so I take it on XP Home partition I wont notice a perfomance drop really, but what about the vista 64 bit? How much will it affect my newer games?

Cheerz for the info so far