3 computers and one a server??, need some help.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Willz, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

well, i am thinking of making a server, as i have got enough stuff for 3 computers, here are the specs.

Main computer: IN my computer, and siggy
    2nd computer: pentium 4 3.0ghz, 20gb hdd, radeon 9600pro
    3rd computer (what would be server) what would be a server: 1.2ghz celeron: (250gb hdd out of my main computer), 384mb sd ram.

i was thinking about making the celeron 1.2ghz computer a server, so it would have the 250gb hdd (all main storage will be on here) so then 2 computers can share the 250gb hdd in the server, i was also thinking that it could be used as a small games server aswell, would this be a good idea using ther 1.2ghz celeron pc as a small server?

2. Addis

Addis The King

As a storage file server, that will be fine. Running a dedicated server would also be ok, since there's no graphics processing needed.

But don't expect it to be a powerhouse server if you're running XP on 350mb~ RAM.

If I were to use the server, I'd use linux with a light window manager (iceWM), have it as a file server with Samba and use the linux dedicated server binaries for the games.

3. Willz

yes i was planning on linux, i have bootable linux cd, one were you dont need to install, would that be ok to use?

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yeah, that machine should do well for most things. However, it may not have enough memory depending on the services you have it running, and you likely be able to host more than one game at a time.

5. Anti-Trend

No, not really. You should install Linux to your HDD. Just give it a small partition of your 250gb, say 12gb if you're going to have games on it, and mount the rest as /home. I recommend the Reiser filesystem, but if you're using RHEL or CentOS this may not be possible. In that case you'd be using Ext3. Drop a line in the Linux forum if you need help with that part of the operation.

6. Willz

does the bootable linux cd have the abbilities to install to hdd?

7. Anti-Trend

Depends on the distro, but it's better to just get a proper install version of whatever distro you will be installing.

8. Willz

what distro do you reccomend?

9. Anti-Trend

Well, I would probably advise either CentOS 4.2 (what my servers are running) or Mandriva 2006 (what my desktops are running). Either are relatively easy to setup, modern packages, easy to manage and maintain, and best of all free.

In either case I wouldn't install a GUI at all, but run soley from the CLI. The reason for this is many-fold. On a system that needs every ounce of its resources and yet won't typically have somebody actually sitting in front of it (my servers don't even have monitors), it'd be a waste of those precious resources to run a GUI. Besides, remote administration on UNIX-like systems is typically done using the CLI anyway, so what's the difference between connecting to the server securely with SSH (use putty if you're connecting from Windows machines) or physically sitting in front of it? Finally, less services running means less potential security holes, especially on servers that will be exposed directly to the Internet. Taking a minimalistic approach to a server will increase its available resources, stability, and security.

10. Willz

Yea, i dont want a monitor on the server, as i want to save electricity.

so how would i go about doing it withough a gui?, also how do i set it up with no monitor?

also, which one of these do i need t donwload?

CentOS 4.2 x86_64. <<<< That one???
    CentOS 4.2 i386.
    CentOS 4.2 IA64.
    CentOS 4.2 s390
    CentOS 4.2 s390x
    CentOS 4.2 for Alpha

*EDIT: i cant find a centos full download, on there website, all the mirrors have all the files split, and i dont know what to download, i think i will just go for Mandriva 2006 .

11. Anti-Trend

Well, you obviously need a monitor for the initial setup. With either distro I recommended the installers are simple and powerful GUIs, which shouldn't present much difficulty to a smart guy like yourself.

As for the distro, since you're going to be running it on a Celeron, get the CentOS 4.2 i386 version.

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

CentOS 4.2 i386

x86-64 would only be useful if you'll be running an Opteron/Athlon 64/Sempron 64 or Intel's EMT64'd Pentiums or Xeons.

13. Anti-Trend

14. Willz

yea, thanks for the link, i have a dvd burner on my main computer which i will use.

15. Anti-Trend

Actually, it looks like they have a stripped down "server CD" now that will provide everything you will need to run a server. Much smaller than the DVD. :)

16. Willz

it doesent matter about stripped down, i have started downloading that i386 centos 4.2

17. Anti-Trend

I installed mine from the DVD as well, I just had to do a custom install and remove almost everything during the initial install.