3800+ temps a bit worrying

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by izzy007, Aug 8, 2006.

1. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

i got and am2 athlon 3800+ and the temps are a bit dissapointing. it sit here at around 45degrees whilst juet browsing. it goes up to 50-52 aswell. ive heard some people have theres sitting at 20-25degrees

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

50*c is nothing to worry about!

PS: Nice CPU

3. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

ive seen people on the internet with 19-23degrees idle and about 30-35 under load. i dont know what the max for my cpu is but compared to those temps, it is well high

4. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

Ive got 3800+ x2 (2.55Ghz overclocked) @ 38degrees with Rome Total War running.

what cooler are you using? and also try to reapply some thermal paste.

5. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

well it was stock (not surprising) but even at stock it shudnt even be that much under load. it shud be around 35 idle and 40-45 load. when cool and quiet is enabled, it shud lower the cpu clock so that it stays cool, but depite i have got cool and quiet enabled, and installed in windows, i still get 2400mhz in cpu-z, it doesnt seem to lower clock speed
    wat do u think of the arctic freezer 64. any experience

6. Random Spirit

Random Spirit Geek Trainee

Check that the fan is spinning properly.

This is quite hot for a CPU to get too. It will reduce the life of the chip if it runs at 50 degrees plus for a long duration. If you cant see if the fan is busted then get a new fan or even a new heat sink + fan assembly. Make sure that the CPU has thermal compound beteen it and the base of the heat sink. This alone can reduce the core temp. by a few degrees.

7. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

its got the thermal pad on it and the fan is spinning full speed.

8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

my 3700+ is overclocked to 2.8ghz, i have the stock cooler, its usually 29degrees idle sometimes 33 degrees, it never goes above 45 degrees at load tho, check that you fan is seated properly, maybe its just a dodgy temperature sensor.

Why would you want to lower the clock speed, i dont think its possible with you cpu, 2.4ghz is stock, is your case all messy inside?

9. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

You can lower your clock speed, in fact it is pretty easy, but you don't need to. You have an issue and lowering the FSB won't fix it, it will just cover it up. Airflow is most likely your issue, as the stock HSF will work fine in GOOD ventaltion. I would suggest checking case fans and obstructions to them.

10. Willz

usually the FSB cant be lowered, well on my motherboard it cant, it can only go higher^

In a case you should have 1 case fun sucking in nd one sucking out obviously, on my case the rear case fan sucks in,and the side fan sucks out, should be other way around really with better fans, then cold air would be blown onto the cpu HS/F, i found cleaning my case took temps down by about 2 degrees.

11. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

im not really saying i want to lower mmy clock speed permanently, becoz i can do that by lowering the multiplier. when cool and quiet is enabled, it reduces or shud reduce temp by executing halt states when idle or lowering clock speeds and voltage/power so that the task is only given how much clock speed it requires. in cpuz its always 2400mhz and never gets lower

12. Willz

yea 2400mhz, it wont get lower, thats your core clock, i thought you were saying about lowergin your core clock, memory clock is easy enigh to do.

I always wondered what Cool and Quiet used to do, i dont bother with it anymore, maybe thats why my idle temps are 33 now, they used to be 29.

13. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

i AM saying it shud lower the core clock and voltage of the CPU. thats what Cool and Quiet is supposed to do.

14. Willz

oh well maybe it will, i thought you were saying about you lowering core clock.

15. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

sorry but either im mistaken or u.
    i AM TALKING BOUT LOWERING THE CORE CLOCK

16. Willz

I KNOW, i meant, i thought you were talking about you manually lowering the core clock, not by cool and quiet.

17. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

oh rite. thx

18. Willz

so aint cool and quet actually really doing anything? try reinstalling it.

19. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

tried it a few times. i also installed the utility which shows your cpu voltage and clock speed to see if cool and quiet was working but its always the default and never chages.