9800 GTX+. Lackluster performance Fo3

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Belder89, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Belder89

Belder89 Geek Trainee

My friend recently wanted to upgrade his video card. Trying to stay in a limited budget i ordered him a 9800 GTX+ from newegg. I figured this would suffice because the only game he really plays in fallout 3... i totally expected it to blow it out of the water.

After removing the drivers for his old card (ati 3800 i believe) i slipped in the brand new 9800. I installed the latest drivers for it and booted up fallout 3... Being optimistic i set the game on ultra high.

When i entered the game i was getting very low FPS as well as hitching and lag when i entered open areas. Even on high settings, i am not getting the performance i was expecting from the card.

I don't believe that the lag is related to his other components. He has 4 gigs of ddr2 memory and a phenom quad, which, i think should suffice.

Am i expecting too much from this card? or should he be getting better performance?

Thanks for any input

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

You're right, the card should kick the game's butt. These graphs tell the same story.

Maybe try to lower some specific setting. Like AA or Vsync.

Try to search up "best 9800gtx drivers" or something, cause when I had a geforce, the newest drivers did not imply better working capabilities but rather more potential problems like slowdowns where older, simpler drivers were working like a charm.

3. daz

daz Geek

GTX is so great graphic card.

4. audio84

audio84 Geek Trainee

I've been having this problem too! I've got a 9800GTX+ and have found that the latest drivers have made the game run like crap (260.99). I've just made a thread about this actually. A few tips, try rolling back to the 190.xx drivers (there was a huge increase in performance for me) and try turning off transparency anti-aliasing in the fallout 3 options. These two things eliminated the lag and frame rate drops completely!

5. Storm2313

Storm2313 Geek Trainee

Sometimes older drivers work better for these issues.