A Video Slot On The Mobo Which Is Exactly Backwards

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by brother jonah, May 16, 2016.

1. brother jonah

brother jonah Geek Trainee

And I have no freakin' idea what the nomenclature for it is. The socket looks like AGP or really more like the Microchannel sockets from the IBM PS2, I've got a few pictures in one directory or other and I'll look up the Mobo name and those pictures as soon as I'm done posting this. If I were to insert a PCI card (other than the fact it wouldn't work) the part which you fasten down with a screw on the back outside of your box would point the Wrong Way.

So the best descriptor I can make in words is: Think PCI or ISA then think "backwards"

I've an onboard port but I'd much rather have something with a hot coprocessor and ram slots added in.

Usually (or, all the time, if you wish) my budget is buying used stuff at thrift stores. So anything that even looks like 'buy new from ..." will promptly be ignored. And armed with the knowledge of the name of the interface I'll be able to use Amazon or ebay to find it. Meanwhile I have the factory video-out onboard, so it's not crash priority.

2. brother jonah

And by P S 2 I mean the very old pc that IBM put out in 1990 with a pair of 25 mhz processors soldered on the board and room for 32 megs of RAM. Those were the days... but I date myself. In Arkansas it's legal. That was my first puter with actual GUI as we know it today. In case anybody recalls the interface it would help a lot in the reply.

Thank you.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

4. brother jonah

Well, the one on this board is definitely newer. Mind, it LOOKS a lot like MCA. The mobo is Dell System PowerEdge SC420 with a bios date of 2004. Onboard USB and SATA, only one EIDE/PATA connection but actually has a floppy connection. Like a whole box of anachronisms. The socket for video add-on , is set a whole lot like AGP and an AGP would fit into it, but the cards I have don't reach the back of the case, by at least an inch. Would there be a "stretched" card length like that? I'm just guessing right now.

5. brother jonah

Found it. PCIe. Got a .pdf on the configuration.

Quote: According to a computer book from long ago "The best thing about Stardards is there are so many of them"

But now I have a clue as to where to look for a card. Might be a good idea to (if available) put a wifi card on the PCIe and thus free up one of the PCI regular for a video.