Abracadabra HD disappears!!!!

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by yorkkev28, Apr 18, 2007.

1. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

I went to play AoE3 lastnight only to find that my pc couldn't find any files relating to the game, upon closer inspection i found that half of my partioned drive had disappeared altogether from my system. The half that contains all my game, music, and video files.
    Now i am very perplexed as to how 40GB of files just vanished into thin air.
    When i look at drive properties it says i have 35.5GB instead of 80GB like it used to say.
    Thought id do a system restore but a warning message flashed up and said that a system restore would not affect my F:/ drive as it had been moved or changed.
    I went into disk management in control panel and found the partioned drive just sitting there not doing anything.
    I formatted the F:/ drive thinking that i would just begin again. From 40GB of disk space it would only let me set parameters up to 18GB, well i carried on regardless, it was only when i went to try and install game software on the F:/ drive that it through up an error message saying F:/ drive not found.

I hope i dont have to format C:/ drive as well and begin from scratch as i have alot of important documents and no CD/DVD writet to enable me to put them onto disk.

Thanks in advance to any solutions unless u tell me to reformat the drive, then i'll cry like a girl.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd scan for viruses and spyware, as well as run your manufacturer's drive diagnostic tools. If you don't have them, you can download them off their website for a bootable floppy.

Check your event logs too. I would obtain a USB drive or some form of backup ASAP in case the drive is going kaput.

3. motorheadbiker

motorheadbiker Geek Trainee

try using partition magic... it wil automatically repair ur partition during its startup...or download hiren's boot cd.. its a very good tool..jus boot from hirens boot cd and use those available tools to repair ur partition.. dis is the bets option i wud suggest so tat u wont loose any of ur data...
    And one more piece of information to u,, i had a 80gb samsung hdd... one day when i was using it suddenly two of my partitions disappeared,, out of 80gb only 40gb was detected..then i even tried using low level format and zero filling the drive.. but i wan not able to retrieve back the remaining 40gb..thank god i had warranty for tat hdd.. and finally i got my hard disk replaced from samsung..they said it had some serious problems so they had to replace it... unfortunately i lost all the data's...
    if tat is the case u cannot retrieve the data dude !!!

4. mixoptical

mixoptical Geek Trainee

I have a similar problem. My HD is supposed to be 100 GB (and it was in the beginning), but now, all the properties show only 90 GB. I checked the "computer management" (disk management) and it shown only 90GB and no not-formatted space. partition magic did the same. thanks ppl.

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

How much is the original Space written on the HDD? If its 100GB also then you are fine because the space printed by the companies always more than the original space which our computer displays. We get less space.. :(