ac97 "rumble"

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by jonnyk13, Jun 30, 2003.

1. jonnyk13

jonnyk13 Geek Trainee

those of you using Realtek AC97 audio well know the Sound Manager program and its built-in Equaliser. well when the equaliser is turned on, i experience 'rumble' during quiter sound/music. i can eliminate this by turning down the 200 and 400 hz faders on the equaliser, but doing this makes audio sound slightly less full and less rounded. can anyone help solve me the rumble issue?? i've got the latest ac97 drivers (got them yesterday)
    i am using:
    Windows XP home
    DirectX 8.1b
    VIA(3059) Audio controller
    ALC650 AC97 codec
    Driver version 5.10.05250

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The AC97 is the basic audio solution around. I'd play with the EQ some more, but ultimately, if you want better sound, it's better to check out a separate sound card. Believe me, that's what I'm doing pretty soon (look for the review). AC97 is alright to get you going, and I appreciate the software EQ it has, but that's not enough to make up for the fact that it's a low-cost, low sound-quality solution.

3. jonnyk13

jonnyk13 Geek Trainee

ah ok so its just cheapo then. fair enough, it came on-board with the PC so i will think about investing in something decent.

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Its usually static that causes sound glitches with the built in sound chips (ac'97 chips on motherboards, namely)
    If you overclock it will certainly be the cause, but like big b said, your best off with a pci card.
    The sb 5.1 digital is best for normal and gaming use.
    If you have quite a few pci cards you might be best off with something similar to but not a sound blaster. I think they use up two irq spaces and can (not always) cause a few minor problems too. But if you just have say a modem and sound blaster pci cards out of say 6 spaces you will be able to sort the irq conflict out.
    Whatever you do dont go spending loads on an Audigy 2 or summit, they are good but you are spending nearly 3 times the money that a 5.1 Digital costs for 6.1, the extra eax feature (which aint all that good) and for 24bit sound.
    The 24bit sound is great but not worth the extra money, but the rest is a blag IMO.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Personally, I've heard the Audigy, and honestly, it's is not worth the money. I have a sound card that was about $40 cheaper and, IMO, had better sound. Add to that Creative has some bloated drivers, and, at least with the Live! series of cards, not conformed to the PCI specifications---which caused problems for many, many people. Hercules and Philips both have cards that are under $50 and are solid.