Access denied?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Jecht, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

A while ago, all of my file sharing capabilies have decreased to 0. Everything was working at one point, and i did not change any type of setting , to my knowledge that affected this. Network places on both computers, used to show all shared files and folders. Then one day, they just dont show up, even when i click "show workgroup computers". All that is displayed is its own shared files and folders. This problem has haunted me in the past, anybody have any suggestions? thx

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I'm assuming you're using Kazaa Media Desktop? In a word: don't. It's so ridden with junk, Kazaa employees don't even like to run it. Also, Kazaa has recently shut down their P2P networks to all but paying members. To make things even worse, the RIAA and MPAA are having a legal sue-fest over copyrighted content on Kazaa networks. (Remeber the slough of 12-year-olds taken to court by the big monopolies?)

I recommend the free and open-source eMule. It's better than Kazaa in every conceivable way. It talks to Kazaa, GNUtella, FastTrack and just about all P2P networks. It can operate as a web server, so you can have a machine dedicated just to P2P and administrate it via HTTP. Also, it has *loads* of content, and very intuitive search capabilites.

3. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

Actually, i am not using Kazaa. I do however use bitorrent a lot ( abc client ) and i clean both computers regulary, defragging, spy software using adaware , and spybot search and destroy.

4. Anti-Trend

In that case, could you give me a specific example?

5. Addis

Addis The King

He's probably talking about Windows file sharing.

6. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

Yeah, the network places portion. I tried disabling my local area connection in "view connections" and renabled it and everything appeared again. Why didnt they appear after a system restart? strange, i been workin on this a long time, and i still dont undertstand why its back.

7. Anti-Trend

Ahh, sorry. I'm not used to hearing about SMB in this kind of context. :eek: