Access Mac files on PC

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by daisycutter, Aug 2, 2006.

1. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

recently got flat robbed whilst out in the pub, and they stole alot of stuff, including my apple powerbook. whilst im understandable pissed off at those brixton crack heads lurking round my flat, i am more pissed of at all the tunes and photos ive lost on my mac....

they didnt manage to find my external hd for my mac though (nor my car keys or else i would be writing this from a internet cafe) which ive backed up some of the stolen files. thing is, now i dont have a mac, is there a way i can access these files on my pc. i dont really fancy taking my hd to a mates house and burning 300gbs of data onto dvds!

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Windows can't read the HFS+ filesystem on your drive, but Linux can! You might use a Linux distro (either live or installed) to access / copy your data.

3. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

if i use that method 2 access the data, and copy it onto my pc, will windows will able to read it afterwards?

4. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Yes you could get that data onto a FAT drive that windows can read.

Boot into a linux liveCD and mount the external drive, copy files onto a FAT32 formatted partition on your system and reboot into windows. Done. Have another pint.

Cheers

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

6. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

so in my understanding, i have to first partition a part of my drive into FAT32, run linux live cd, then i can copy my data across? i will give it a go later, but i haveto get a new HD first coz the new seagate 320gb HD got stolen as well!

o well, thats life!

edit, im also gonna try the macdrive option as well as its a time based trial. will let u know how it goes. cheers guys.

7. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

just a quickie to say thanks for every1's help for getting my mac stuff back on my pc! special shout out to sniper for suggesting macdrive! :chk: