Acer BIOS R01-B1

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by kazgirl, Jun 14, 2007.

1. kazgirl

kazgirl Geek Trainee

Hi there,

I wonder if there is anyone who currently has an Acer PC using the R01-B1 BIOS, I currently have an Acer PC with the R01-A4 BIOS, but am having difficulties with upgrading my RAM and getting the mobo to recognize the new RAM, and I think it has to do with RAM voltage settings, as my PC is currently configured with vDimm at 1.77v, and my new RAM is recommended 2.2v voltage. There isn't any option in my current BIOS to change the vDimm setting, even though there is a monitoring section which displays the current vDimm setting under PC Health.

I've downloaded a BIOS upgrade file from the Acer website, but before I take the risk of performing a flash upgrade of my BIOS, it would be nice to know if it will actually help....neither the Acer website, nor the downlaoded update file, have any details of what exactly the BIOS update fixes, so if anyone out there has currently got the Acer BIOS version R01-B1 and can tell me what options are available in the BIOS for changing, specifically if it allows changing the vDimm setting....I would be really grateful as I've now tried just about all I can, including installing a new 500W PSU which I had hoped may resolve any power issues as my previous PSU was a mere 250W, and I had installed a 8800GTS 320MB graphics card, which I thought may have been the cause of a power shortage to the board, and therefore not allowing the system to address the new RAM at the higher voltage.

Any thoughts or help on this will really help as I really don't know what to do to try and sort it out...!!!!

Many thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Typically, pre-built boxes from larger OEM's like Acer don't contain options to alter the voltages or other options you'd find on many off-the-shelf boards.

3. kazgirl

kazgirl Geek Trainee

HI tahnks, for the info B, I updated my BIOS as I had heard on another forum that this BIOS update fixed their RAM problems, didn't in my case though, successfully updated BIOS, but system still won't accept the 6400 RAM, even thought the mobo manual says it supports 6400 RAM, it will still only boot if at least one stick of the older 5300 RAM is installed in the first channel, so it's now 5300 slot 1, 6400 slot 2, 5300 slot3, 6400 slot 4, system boots with this mem config and recognises all 4 RAM but in single channel not dual channel, any attempt to install the 6400 ram in dual channel, results in system failing to boot and mobo bleeps. I've given up on it and putting it down to a crappy Acer mobo and BIOS, it seems that mobo is an ECS mobo that Acer have adapted, as the manual I got online form ECS only has 2 dimm slots on it, but the Acer mobo is identical to it with the only differnce being the 4 dimm slots, I've e-mailed Acer support at the global website, Pan AM website, Europe website and the UK website, and no replies at all from any so given up on it, and I've now started putting together components for a new build, with new mobo, processor, case....etc...etc don't thin I'll ever buiy a pre-built oem box again.....thanks for the info.

4. Feeble

Feeble Geek Trainee

Yeah I had the same problem at first, Not sure what was causing it.:doh: I did finally get them to work without a bios update,:chk: It's something to do with the older memory chips. I think the system is trying to configure itself to clock them chips down to the slower chips, But isn't doing it correctly.:confused: You should be able to boot up with one of the pc 6400 chips right,:dry: Then take out the slower ram you have in there and you should be good to go. Oh yeah make sure both of your pc6400 chips are in the same banks, (exp slot 1 and 2 are orange if my memory serves me right and slot 3 and 4 are purple.) If they aren't in the same channels then you will not get the full speed boost you want and you will not get dual channel. :cool: Right now I have 2 2gig sticks pc6400 at 400 mhz = 4 gigs in sockets 3 and 4 purple running like a dream. :) {btw I only work with kingston and better brands nothing cheaper} I tried working with a 1gig stick that was the original set up and I couldn't get them to work together for nothing. I Have 2 2gig sticks and 2 1 gig sticks, I wanted to split them and have 2 machines with 3 gigs each, It just wasn't happening. The 2 1 gigs sticks are pc 5400 333mhz and the 2 gig chips I got was suppose to compatible, Obviously they are not or the system just isn't clocking them down, Which could be a bios problem, But with you updating it then not sure what the issue would be unless they just haven't fixed it yet within the bios. If you can't get them all to work together in the same channels 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 then you wont be able to get the dual channel support you want. Mixing them up like you are wont work for dual channel, If you really want to try again then I suggest pc 5300 in channels 1 & 2 and your pc6400 in channels 3 & 4, unless you have tried this configuration then, At this point if you want the dual channel support now then you will need to take out the slower chips and just use the pc6400. Yeah BTW acre corp is full of crap, they dont know what they are talking about half the time. They make good mobo and other produces as long as your get the right ones, otherwise its just a big headache. Ok so I looked at your mobo and your slots are black and yellow colors. what was the Mhz speed of the chips. Your mobo specs are
    Form factor ATX
    CPU socket Socket AM2
    64-bit compatible Yes
    Max number of CPUs 1
    Max bus speed 1000 MHz
    BIOS Award
    Memory slots 4
    Memory type DDR II
    · Supported memory speeds DDR2-400
    · Supported memory speeds DDR2-533 / DDR2-667 / DDR2-800
    ECC Yes
    Max. RAM 8192 MB