Ack!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by archcommus, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No. That link's been around for a few years at least.

Whatcha lookin' up on MSI's site(s)?
    You might wanna e-mail the tech support department or another department that can get you the info if you can't find it.

2. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Latest drivers for my MB. I figured I wouldn't bother installing the ones on the CD at all.

3. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Well, www.msi.com.tw is back up today, but it's running VERY slowly. I really don't get this still: Why does MSI keep and maintain two websites that have identical content but completely different layouts?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm guessing redundancy.

5. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Haha, I suppose so. Still, quite odd.

Ah, I finally got the HDD screws out today, btw.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Cool. I've done a lot of things wrong in assembling PC's before, and having to figure it out helps you learn. Screws still throw me, and hooking up floppy drives did to. My last box, I had the IDE cables on backwards (no wonder they didn't detect:swt: )...
    I've even put a heatsink on a 1.4 Athlon (Thunderbird core---still a very, very hot chip) backwards.:eek: The CPU still is working however...but I have killed a couple of Duron's in the past.

In otherwords, don't feel bad if you screw up. It happens to the best of us:)

7. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Haha, thanks, that makes me feel better about the next thing I did wrong... You're gonna laugh at this one.

You see, I was putting in my PCI USB 5-port card today. For some reason, the ridiculous screw would not go into the hole. I could get it into every other one, but not the one I wanted. Every time I went to screw it in, just when I thought I had it in straight, it would wobble around crooked. So, I finally asked for help from my father, to see if he could do it. He did it instantly. How, I'm not sure. Either way, I was done, but I was still bothered by the fact that I was not able to do a silly screw myself. Plus, when I looked at it, the port was somewhat crooked, so, my reason being those two facts combined, I decided to take out what he just did and try it again myself. Well, the screw came out almost instantly, with very little turning at all. Putting it back in, I had the same problem as before. Eventually, it got to the point where the screws started to just drop right into the hole, without even being threaded at all. Using my keen eye sight, I noticed that that hole was somewhat bigger than all the rest. Thus, I have deduced, that from my dad's very tight turning and my own messing with it for hours on end, we made the hole bigger than the others, and now NO screw can be tightened in it. Any idea how I can secure this card now?

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Umm...welding, perhaps? Epoxy?---those are kinda permanent, so I hope the card doesn't get moved often.

9. syngod

syngod Moderator

I believe msicomputers.com is their US website, if you look at all the major manufacturers they tend to have multiple sites for each region and usually also tend to have the corporate site in the country their located in in both the native language and english.

I'm still feeling the effects from Sat. as two of my sites have just come back up in the last 30 minutes so it looks as though at least UUNet is still having problems and I'm guessing since Korea had shut down their whole network that region probably is as well.

10. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

I just put the screw in, let it stay loose, and then put masking tape over it. Seems to hold well. It's just a PCI USB card.