adding 2nd network card...slow connection speed?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by shomz, Nov 8, 2004.

1. shomz

shomz Geek Trainee

Im researching the idea of adding a 2nd network card for the purposes of getting my game system online. I would use microsoft ics with a crossover cable to hook the game system up. Im going this way because my system is right next to my computer and i dont want to risk going wireless even though i already have it installed in another part of the house, and i dont want to run wires, so im guess this would be the only way for both computer and game system to be online together. What I want to know is. Will this split the connection speed of my computer if I were to install it? Any suggestions

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

By a cross over cable i presume you mean a direct link, ie no hub, just an uplink cable PC->PC, as long as there is some form of connection enabling your gaming system to be connected to the network then yes a cross over cable would work.. however, the computer that your gaming system is directly connected to via your cross over cable would have to be on when ever your gaming system would want to use the net.

Personally if you already have a wireless network, and that wireless network has connectivity to the internet then i would get a wireless network card for your gaming system.

Also you say "online together", what do you mean by this? I have presumed that you mean for your gaming system to have connectivity to the internet via your other system..? If so yes a cross over cable would work. However i would suggest a wireless connection as it means you can move your computer about freely if you move rooms, or will move your computer or something..

But yes a cross over cable should work without any hitches :) and no your connection speed should not be split because of it.. :good:

Can i suggest that if you do go for wireless, you get either Belkin or Netgear wireless products, they are really good :)

Hope this helps, if not and i've completely missed the point of your post then please feel free to shout at me and re-post some more detailed information :D

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The other thing you could do would be to get a small switch. You still only have 1 cable coming into your room, but the switch would give you more ports and allow you to just turn on the console. You'd need two regular network cables, but that's not too bad. Yes, you'd be laying wires in a sense, but not all over the place, just your room.

4. shomz

shomz Geek Trainee

I have linksys router with wireless and wired right now. I have tried wireless and the game system is lagging..

Im not sure I understand what the switch is. Is that like another hub that I plug into the routers uplink and then give myself more ports that way, or is this something totally different

ProcalX- by online together, I meant if i was playing a game and had to pause it to search on the internet I would want to be able to do it at the same time and still have a fast connection.