Advice for current low-budget build($200 - $400)

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Brian Entei, Nov 25, 2013.

?

Do you think this build will run a Linux Minecraft 1.7.2 server?

1. Yes, it will run alright.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, it will probably not run very well...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

Hello, I am currently almost finished with picking out all the new computer parts for a nice, upgradable low-end gaming desktop computer. However, I am puzzled with whether or not the heatsink from the processor I need will fit into the case I have chosen. Here are the links to all of the parts I have currently on my list(sorry for the barrage of links):

Case: Newegg.com - Rosewill FB-04 Dual Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with 1x Front 120mm Fan, 1x Rear 80mm Fan

MotherBoard:
    Newegg.com - ASRock H81M LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb-s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
    Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX16C10B1RK2-16 - Newegg.com

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Pentium G3220 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 54W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646G3220

PSU:
    Amazon.com- Corsair Builder Series CX 500 Watt ATX-EPS 80 PLUS (CX500)- Computers & Accessories

PCI-Express 2.0 GPU:
    Newegg.com - ASUS GT640-1GD5-L GeForce GT 640 1GB 64-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

USB to PS/2(I like my old keyboard & mouse): BYTECC BT-2000 Adapter - Newegg.com

IDE to SATA PCI Card(I have an older drive): Rosewill RC-215 VIA PCI SATA 1.5G x2 - ATA 133 (IDE) x1 Controller Card - Newegg.com

I hope you guys can find out how the Intel heat sink will fit into that Rosewill case. Does the fan that comes with the cpu simply 'sit' on top of the heatsink?? Also, with this build, how will I be able to connect my old IDE Floppy drive to my motherboard(not a big issue, but I still use some 3.5 floppies). If you have any other thoughts, or can maybe find something that's cheaper somewhere else, then feel free to post it! Thanks for reading,

-Brian Entei

P.S. In case of "tl;dr", I made a webpage listing all of the computer parts and their status, as well as prices here(this is my website via no-ip.org):

http://redsandbox.no-ip.org/Files/Custom_Built_Computer/Totals.html

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I would buy a better Motherboard and CPU , like a Gigabyte board and a i3 cpu ...Or look for a Combo Kit, that comes with Motherboard / CPU and heatsink.

3. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

Well, I was looking at a better cpu, but it always pushes the budget over, so for now, I'm sticking with the cpu I listed. As for the motherboard, I like that one because it has PCI slots, as well as PCI-Express 2.0 slots. If you can find a full size ATX board with PCI and PCI-Express ports with the processor socket 1150, I'd like that, but otherwise, I'm limited on that. Thanks though, I appreciate the help!

P.S. I like this one, but it's a bit too pricy, and only has one PCI slot.

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Corsair CX-series PSU are not good quality.

There is no way to connect floppy drives to modern motherboards. Use USB-floppy drive instead.

I can't see reason to buy Pentium + GT 640, I'd go for AMD A8 or A10 series instead.

16GB RAM, why? Minecraft server really needs that much?

5. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

Do you have a link to a similarly priced PSU that is 'good' quality? How is this one?

Well, okay, unless I buy an IDE to PCI card for the floppy, but I was wondering if there was another way.

Those AMD processors are the wrong socket type. The socket type for my motherboard has to be LGA 1150. (I'm not changing my motherboard for this build.)

Minecraft really only needs up to four, but my new computer won't be a dedicated machine - it's also going to be a personal gaming computer(for low-end games, nothing crazy).

6. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

That PSU is good enough.

Of course you cannot put AMD processor to LGA1150. But why you cannot change motherboard?

7. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

Well, I could, but then I will have wasted my relatives' money on an LGA 1150 processor, and I'm not doing that. Thanks though!

I also need the motherboard to have at least one PCI slot, as well as two of the new standard PCI-Express x16 slots.

8. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

How many lanes you need? Physically 2*PCI Express x16 slots is not a problem. However at best you can only get 2*8 lanes for them on LGA1150.

9. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

Well, I'd need both of the PCI-e to both be full x16 slots... How's this motherboard look? This one is a bit pricey for my taste, but looks good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131991

However, I noticed that the black PCI-e slot doesn't have as many pins, despite being labeled as "PCI-e x16"... Thanks,

-Brian Entei

10. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Physically or electrically?

For LGA1150 you could theoretically have 20 physical PCI Express x16 slots. However you can only have one electrically x16 PCI Express slot (eg 16 lanes). There is no workaround for this one, it's CPU limitation.

If you really need two x16 PCI Express slots (x16 physically AND electrically (16 lanes)), your only solution is to change CPU socket to LGA2011 (very expensive) or AM3+ (AMD 990FX chipset, much cheaper).

11. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

Well, that's fine, I just found out that the second card I have is only an 8-lane PCI-Express. Thanks though!

Is there anything else you see that you think I could do better with?

-Brian Entei

12. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Things I would change, you would not. So no :)

13. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

Great, thanks! In the far future, when computers have gotten a step or two better, I may go all out and ask what the best parts to buy are here, so maybe we can try this again then... Thanks for your opinions and help!

-Brian Entei