Advice on upgrading/building new comp...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Insignificance, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Insignificance

Insignificance Geek Trainee

I have a budget of maximum £800 and would like to reuse as much of my current pc as possible, so I can spend more on graphics card, processor and stuff.

Current comp:

CPU - AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Motherboard - MSI MS-6382
    RAM - 512 mb
    HD - seagate u series 80020 (80gb)
    Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420

I don't know my psu or sound card =s

I know for sure I need a new processor, graphics card, ram and power supply, but I don't know what to get. Or if the new hardware would be compatible with the older mobo and hard drive. I want to save money by keeping my monitor and all stuff, and the cd and dvd drives.

I'd like to use the comp for gaming.

Thanks in advance for taking some time to advise someone with little computer knowledge ^^;

Edit - sorry, I accidentally put this in the wrong forum section

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hi, well for starters, your going to need a new CPU, Graphics card, Motherboard, Ram and Power Supply.

£800 is a good budget, Direct X10 is around the corner, so you might concider upgrading the graphics card later on.

CPU:Intel Core 2 DUO E6400 "LGA775 Allendale" 2.13GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
    Mobo:Asus P5B-E Plus (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    Ram:OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK)
    GPU:EVGA GeForce 7950 GT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
    PSU:Hiper HPU-4M730 Type R 730W ATX2.2 PSU - Black

Total comes to £736.67

What games do you play? you may concider purchasing a 7600GT and not spending as much on the graphics card as you will need to upgrade the graphics card in a couple of months depending on if your going to be wanting to play DX10. If you extend your budget by about £50 you could go for a Nvidia 8800GTS, DX10, plays all the latest games at maximum settings, will last long enouogh too.

I reccommend getting a bigger hard drive too, 250GB SATA2 hard drive like this one:
    Western Digital Caviar RE 250GB 2500YS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM

Hope this all helps :D

3. Insignificance

Insignificance Geek Trainee

Thanks, that's very helpful :D

I primarily want it to play Oblivion, and some of the newer games.

I should probably go for a 8800GTS...I can afford to stretch my budget by about £50, maybe even a hundred if I do lots of overtime at work :p

Will I be needing a new case and/or something for cooling do you think?

4. Willz

Get the 8800GTX if you can, but i belive the 8800GTS will play oblivion at all max setings and at like 1600 x 1200 res which is VERY good :)

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Geek Trainee

Will good rig but the gfx card sucks... a 7900gt is better buy for money and if you plan on getting a g80 this year then you wont be kicking yourself for spending so much on the 7950gt which you will find to run out of date very fast.

6. Willz

I would just buy an 8800GTS now and be done with it tbh.

Yea i noticed the 7900GT wins in most benches.

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Geek Trainee

lol yer thats why i always recomened it over any other 7series... i say hold on a bit longer get your savings up a bit higher and when g80 prices come down youll have enough to get better components than you can now :)

8. Willz

Maybe so, but i think its gonna take a while to come down the amount thats gonna be payed for a 7900GT, so its best to get now, and £291 for an 8800GTS is quite good.

9. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

You can never buy the latest technology with this strategy....

10. Willz

I also suspect the 8800GTS will last a good year in playing game to there maximum, rhen when you see signs of it starting to struggle, just stick another 8800GTS in, i belive 2 8800GTS's in SLi is close to one 8800GTX, and by the time the 8800GTS is struggling which may even take more than a year, G80 prices will of dropped by then and you could get SLi, or you could upgrade to one of the best cards after the 8800GTS needs upgrading, concidering how old my card is, about 2 years, it may well be the same and might not struggle for around 2 years.

I have my graphics card future mapped out, in less than a month: 8800GTS, summer, 8800GTS SLi or 8800GTX depending on the price, but either way i will need a new PSU, i aint looking for the latest though, i am fairly confident my upgrade path will be succesfull, i may upgrade the cpu depending on prices and performance at the time.