After some time not being used, HDD doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by AndreC, Feb 9, 2014.

1. AndreC

AndreC Geek Trainee

Greetings everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a solution, temporary or otherwise.
    My problem is the following, I have a desktop pc which is relatively old, it's not great, but for sound recording purposes it did the trick. It was working fine, and in October of 2012 I traveled to another country, leaving it in working condition, and I even unplugged everything from electricity seeing as, I've had hardware damage from power surges before.
    Now, I've only recently returned home, and the first time I turned everything on nothing would show on the monitor. I turned off and on a couple of times and it started working, but it just does not recognize the hard drive (and thus, does not start windows or anything)... I've tried putting a different one to test and it did find it.
    So, it's obvious my problem is the hard drive, but I thought if the drive had a problem it would at least detect it, but then have some error about it. And besides what could happen to render it completely useless if it wasn't being used? I suppose there could have been some humidity, but still...

In any case, is there anything I can try to fix it, or at least get it running enough time to backup some data?
    Before that there were no signs that the drive was going to "die" or anything, no abnormal sounds, etc...

Thank you in advance for the attention.

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Put HDD on another machine that has OS installed, then try to recover data.