AGP slot broken?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jari, Dec 19, 2006.

1. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Thanks, the video card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

But What I just did was that I installed new PSU. It's ATX 12v v2.0 and it gives 400W. So that should be enough right?

But still it doesnt work and what I noticed was that when I had the AGP card installed and the monitor cable plugged to the VGA of the mobo (instead to the card) it worked as before. This seems strange because from my other experiences the mobo's VGA should not work if the is an AGP card installed, correct?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, 400W should be enough (dependant on the make & model of the PSU & thje spec of the system it's powering)[ot]what's the make & model of your PSU ? and what is the spec of your system ?[/ot]

3. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Well I guess that means that the AGP port is broken then.

4. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

Did you connect your PSU cable to the AGP card? newer cards now require the PSU cable to be plugged in..check if there is a plug in the AGP card to connect the PSU cable..n what do u get on your monitor when u plug in using the AGP card?

And i think you need a new PSU

5. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

i dont think Geforce FX 5200 requires a PSU cable....r u sure that card works?did u test it in any other mobo? n what is the make of your PSU? 400W seems enough for that card anyway...i think u need to change ur settings in the bios..not sure about ur bios but there must be settings where u can change the initial display to AGP instead of onboard...try to find it

6. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Hey, thanks for the tips but I actually tested this two AGP cards and neither of them require cable from the PSU. And I have found the BIOS setting for initial display, can't remember what it said but it was clear that it was set in proper value. Thanks again though!
    It's just strange to me how AGP slot could be broken but the mobo would still otherwise work well like it has now.

7. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

the AGP slot may be damaged but since when booting up, if the monitor cable is plugged into the onboard graphics vga slot, it wil recognise tat ... n it will display...but if it is connected to the AGP card n if the slot is damaged, then it wont display at all...there mite be beeps depending on the bios ur using

8. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Ok, thanks for clearing that out. The monitor stays black only if I plug a AGP card and the cord to it.