All-in-one diagnostic tool for noobs ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nilla, May 18, 2009.

1. Nilla

Nilla Geek Trainee

... And free, on top of that :D

Hello everyone. I've had some lag issues with my PC for a while, and after ruling out a software problem by scanning my PC with 10 different antivirus, anti-spyware, unholy curse detectors, formatting twice, and testing on a clean windows intall... I'm ready to start looking for a hardware issue - except I don't really know where to begin.

The noobishness is the issue here - I've googled numerous diagnostic tools, but I can't tell which one is appropriate to my issue, or if I'm even going to understand the results.
    Most seem to be overclocking tools, that look for problems under huge stress, but my fps-drop-random-processes-hogging-cpu-while-its-temperature-goes-down problem happens with regular use (can you say 5 FPS on Morrowind with a brand new PC?) - and thus I don't know if that's really what I'm looking for to pinpoint an issue that seems obvious.

Sorry if this sounds, confused, this whole thing kinda baffles me. Basically, I'm looking for one or several piece(s) of freeware that could tell me which part of my PC is borked.

Thank you immensely for any help you could give me, and forgive me for any stupidity/grammar mistakes/lack of searching skills (I did search, I swear!) etc.

2. tuxified

tuxified Geek Trainee

Bonsoir mon ami(e) :D

Well, actually that swiss knife you might be dreaming of is actuall kinda possible, but if you looking for stand alone apps and secure tasks, let me point you out to linux live CDs. I personally use a linux rescue CD
    HTML:
    www.sysresccd.org
    it gots too many good utilities, very stable and been always there when things get wrong.

J'espere que ca va t'inspirer un peu :)