all-in-one portable.

Discussion in 'Tablets, Phones and Music Players' started by dstebbins, Jun 26, 2006.

1. dstebbins

dstebbins Geek Trainee

When do you think we are going to eventually see a portable gadget or gizmo that does EVERYTHING. I'm talking about a cell phone, MP3, photophone, PDA, GPS, pocketPC, internet surfing, live sattalite TV, email, instant messaging, digital camera, webmastering, video games with PSP graphics and PC controls, and all the functions of a desktop PC, with just smaller specs. Sure, mobile phones do a lot of that stuff, but can they do internet? Live TV? Make webpages? Do they have a PDA-like touch screen?

The only bad thing I can think about a gizmo like this is that it would be expensive, like fifteen hundred dollars or more, but it would almost be worth it to have all your portable demands in one product. I'm asking you when you think it will come?

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Personaly for me this will be a non-starter,
    I can't think of anything worst - Playing video games or watching movies or TV on a 3"-4" screen? Bah! Rubbish! I would never get anything like the 'movie playing iPod' thingimijib. What a waste of money.....

The problem as I see it is that for some reason everyone want to cram their whole life into their mobile.... what a waste of resources....
    Does any UK residents know the Strongbow advert with the mobile phone? That's what I think about all this gadgetry... :swear:
    Pfff, crazy kids... :confused:

3. dstebbins

dstebbins Geek Trainee

...okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, can you back up this bashing of technology with logical reasons?

4. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

I think if we ever do get anything like this, by the time they've made it cheap enough and portable enough, there will be a new technology out that makes the one you describe look crap.
    Look at a mobile for example, they invent the mobile, make it small(ish), but people then want them smaller, but by the time they've done that people want colour screens and cameras etc...

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I have an O2 XDA Mini S - I've got a 1GB mini SD card in it and for my needs it's awesome.

6. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

You are talking about current mobiles and the question is about future mobiles. You dont know there might be some mobiles come out, which works with imagination. for eg. you are talking face to face with another person without even speaking a word(just with imagination) and nobody else knows about it, that you are talking to someone. An imaginatery screen will be in front of you.

I think, you can get all these things on todays 3G mobiles. But it all depends on which size of mobile you are bying.. If you are talking about IPAQ's, then I think they have all these specs at the moment.
    I am sure, that day is not far away when we will have everything connected to everything....... You will be able to send and recieve message to any gadget from any gadget.~!

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

It's already started, think about bluetooth between things like camera phones and printers, phones and computers, phones and phones etc etc.

With WiFi becoming a mainstream feature of Smartphones / PDA's there's even more connectivity as the Internet becomes a big part of it with the wireless networking capabilities of devices.

8. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Me to believe that WiFi will play a major role in connecting all sorts of gadget and by the end of 2010, we will have it working nearly all the developed/developing countries in the world. So people will not just stick to the mobile phones for communication.

9. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I think this portable PC is probably the nearest you are going to get, for now. But i'll have to wait for the prices to come down :)

10. syngod

syngod Moderator

Most of the features are already available in a single phone. I know with my UTStarcom PPC6700 it's running Windows Mobile 2005, so you have all the major Microsoft apps, and EVDO connection so it has speeds upto 2.4MB/second which allows it to support streaming video (love the slingbox for this :).)

I don't have a GPS reciever hooked upto it but we do sell them and they work great, it's a nice feature to be able to have Streets & Trips detect a Wi-Fi connection and then set a marker for it with the GPS. Haven't tried any games so not sure what the graphics are like and there's no Satellite support but with streaming video it isn't a big loss.

Satellite is available in some of the phones I've seen from Korea though so chances are it will be coming but apart from that everythings already here in one device, and as far as pricing goes at least with the carrier I sell ranges from $249CAN on a 3yr Voice & Data to $1049CDN to buy outright so pricing isn't that bad either.

11. papa m

papa m Geek Trainee

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of the QTEC 9100, I do not require a phone for games or vidio's, only for calls and to access the internet