AM2+ heatsink with AM3+ mobo

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by cyrus9008, Dec 21, 2011.

1. cyrus9008

cyrus9008 Geek Trainee

Hey everybody, I'm new to the boards here and it looks like a very informative website. Hope I can contribute here.

I am thinking about upgrading my Mobo, RAM and CPU. I play quite a few video games so I'm big into performance. I currently have a Phenom II X4 2.8ghz CPU and am currently cooling it with a CPU fan/heatsink that I love Thermaltake V1 Max-Performance CPU Cooler. It keeps my CPU very cool under extremely heavy loads and I am trying to save a little money so I'd rather just keep this, it's an awesome cooler or do I need to buy another cooler, I refuse to use the stock ones that come with the CPU they're garbage, thanks everyone.

Also one more question, if the heatsink is to big that I cannot utilize the first memory slot, does it matter what slots I use for the memory. Like can I use slots 2 and 3 and skip using 1?

2. maxfed29

maxfed29 Geek Trainee

no, you cant. if its a dual channel ram slots, there are primary and secondary slots and you always have to have your rams on the primary before you place anything other ram onto the secondary slots or else your computer will not boot up.

as much as you love your fan, you gotta have a fan thats fitted to your cpu socket on your mobo. you can get into a lot of problems later on if its not....

3. cyrus9008

cyrus9008 Geek Trainee

Thanks for reply max. Damn that sucks, because I really wanted to get the ZALMAN CNPS12X. It has 3 cooling fans with the heatsink and with the memory I want to get it is 2 millimeters to tall and if I need RAM in the first slot it won't fit. Any suggestions on another HSF that is really good? The fan needs to be aimed towards the back of the case so it exits through the fan there. Not a fan the is aimed towards the side of the case.