AMD Overclock question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Bigshadow, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Bigshadow

Bigshadow Geek Trainee

Hey guys,

So I know that overclocking isn't really an exact science when it comes to potentials, but I still feel like my cpu should be getting at least 100 Mhz out of its "turbo core" range. I have a Phenom II x6 1100t and when I overclock it I can usually reach about ~3.8-3.9 Ghz. I have the voltage set at about 1.48-1.5V when I do this. The multiplier is 17.5x and the HT ref. clock is at 223. Now here's the problem, it can hold this just fine for quite some time. I can usually hold it stable for about 1 day then I shut down and the next time I turn it back on it will run for a few hours fine and then boom! I get met with a rather unfriendly BSoD followed by a reboot. My temps are actually very very cool at this clock speed (usually right around 26 C idle and about 32-35C load). My question is, is this normal not be able to overclock at all? I mean my turbo core speed is 3.7 Ghz... I have a pretty solid power supply (850 Watt Thermaltake black widow). I have liquid cooling (explanation for the earlier temps) and it just seems rather confusing to me that I am not able to even slightly overclock... I dont really want to be way up there past 4 Ghz, just 3.8 or 3.9 would be nice. Oh, and just to clear this up, I have run benchmarks/stress tests when I first put it to 3.9 Ghz and it handles those just fine. Is it possible for me to be able to overclock at all? Am I maybe going about it all wrong? (i.e. lower HT clock and higher multiplier). I could use some help here :confused:

Thanks in advance,
    Bigshadow

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

There's no guarantee of an overclock. Having said that, there's not a hard wall at x MHz, so some sort of overclock is possible. What can cause trouble is one or two settings, some of which may be motherboard specific. You might see what speed your RAM is running. If that's running too high (anything past stock speed can be suspect) you might want to adjust the HTT:FSB ratio. It's been along time since I've tinkered in BIOS, but I would look at the RAM first thing. Since one little setting can screw it up, I'd snag Memtest and use that for at least a few passes. If it fails, you've found your culprit and can adjust the timings, speed, voltage as needed. It may need a little more voltage to operate above the rated speed. I don't know the safe max for DDR3, and while I recall being around 2.1V, don't quote me.

3. Bigshadow

Bigshadow Geek Trainee

Ok I think I've discovered the problem. For some reason (probably a default setting) the cpu voltage resets when I restart my pc. So every time I restart my pc the voltage drops back down to 1.375V, but it's still running at 3.9Ghz. I do believe this is the culprit :p