Annoyed at USB 2.0

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by winslow33, Dec 6, 2008.

1. winslow33

winslow33 Geek Trainee

Onece, I handed my computer over to the techies who tossed in a USB 2.0 expansion slot. Nowadays I would have done it myself, but thats not the point.

As in the picture, there are two slots. When I plug my PQI 1GB thumb drive into the one to the right, Windows fails to recognize it.:( If i plug it into the left port, it works fine. But all my other USB stuff like my joystick, camera, SD card reader, other thumb drive, MP3, etc. work fine and dandy in both! What is wrong? I refuse to pump any more money to that computer because its slow and kinda old... The only good stuff is the graphics card and Wion XP. But theres not enough RAM for games and the HD has failed several times.
    Thanks. :)

2. winslow33

winslow33 Geek Trainee

there's the pic.

Attached Files:

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

so, 1 USB drive works & 1 doesn't.
    • how old are both USB pens / drives and how often have they being used ?
    • do you have access to another USB pen to test ?
    • do you have USB ports built into your motherboard, are they disabled, why ?

4. winslow33

winslow33 Geek Trainee

Well, the one USB stick is about a year old, hardly ever used, works on both ports. The other that works in one port is about 6 months old, used almost every day. No, those are the only 2 i own, And lasty, there are two built in USB ports on the front. But they arn't USB 2.0. They are enabled and I use them from time to time if I'm not in a hurry, but the USB stick works in both of those too.