Annoying NZXT HUSH Noise

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Khazgrim, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Khazgrim

Khazgrim Geek Trainee

My NZXT HUSH case has suddenly decided not to be HUSHy. I haven't owned the system long, but until now it's been really silent.

Now I have a constant, annoying, rhythmic humming (I suppose humming is the right word - sorry, not too great on sound-related words - humming will do).

It's present from the moment I power on. At first I assumed it was one of the fans, but I've sequentially eliminated all fans as the source of the noise - PSU, GPU, CPU and the case fans. I have a GTX 295, which is a pretty tight fit inside this case. Just out of curiosity, I removed the card and powered on - the humming noise had disappeared. I can confirm though that the fan on the GPU works perfectly, and I haven't experienced any signs of the card failing.

Is it possible that the large size of the card is somehow causing vibration/resonation within the case?

The first thing everyone seems to recommend to check in a noisy computer are the fans - but they're all perfectly quiet.

Or could it even be the hard disk? Do these cause vibration even when they're idle?

I'm really stumped with this one. It's present immediately from switching on, so I can't blame it on heat build up and faster spinning fans. The pitch, tone, intensity or rhythm of the humming doesn't change, regardless of whether I'm using Office or playing Far Cry 2 on its highest settings.

Help! I'm going nuts.