anti virus protection

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by amit_ldn, Feb 10, 2005.

1. amit_ldn

amit_ldn Geek Trainee

ok i know this question is very broad and the answer is opinion related but, i have only ever used norton anti virus, my year has run out with it and a womdering if there are any better programs out there???

i've heard good things about avg for example but if there are any other really good ones would be glad to hear of them.

2. Addis

Addis The King

Out of the free AVs AVG is probably the best one. Norton and McAfee hog resources a lot and the lighter AV is just as good. Get AVG here

3. amit_ldn

amit_ldn Geek Trainee

yeah i heard all those things and i'm actually downloading the free version just as i checked in.
    I've heard a lot about another one called nod32, it's had pretty rave reviews,i've never heard of it. maybe someone has and can recomend..

cheers

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Never heard of nod32 but AVG's great i'd recommend it any day of the week.

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

The best solution I've found is Kaspersky Anti Virus, I know I've had it catch quite a few things AVG and Norton's have been willing to let through.

6. honeymonster

honeymonster Geek Trainee

I've heard good reports about Kaspersky but it's not free (cheaper than Norton though :good: ). However, when I tried the evaluation for it I found it added several minutes to my boot up time due to all the checks it does.

I've used AVG in the past and found it ok, but another good FREE one is Avast available at www.alwil.com which can scan archive files, which I don't think AVG can (might be wrong). I currently use Avast 4 and it's been pretty reliable. It also integrates with email programs automatically.

7. Addis

Addis The King

AVG can scan archives like zip rar etc. Although its not perfect, I would recommend it over Avast.

8. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Agreed. AVG is surprisingly good, especially for a free (for home use) product. They're poising themselves to take over the AV throne.

9. honeymonster

honeymonster Geek Trainee

Okay, I'll check it out again. Must have missed that option or maybe was using an old version.

Out of interest, where do you feel it's better than Avast?

10. Addis

Addis The King

Its been quite a while since I've last used Avast, but when I did use it it seemed quite outdated and the updates weren't available as soon as other providers. But they might have improved it now.