Any help appreciated..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mr Newbie, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Mr Newbie

Mr Newbie Geek Trainee

Regarding a problem with a Dell Inspiron 2200.

Basically, bought it last Sept. Been fine until recently when I got the blue screen of death with 'unmountable boot volume' error.

Ran diag tests and got a 1000-1046 error so called up dell support. Apparantly, my computer is basically dead and they tried to put me through to sales. (Only got minimal warranty)

Just wanted to check if they are telling the truth and the best course of action to take in your opinions...

I'm not particularly technically minded, but no idiot either, so I hope there's enough in the post to get an idea of what the prob is.

Thanks to anyone who helps in advance.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i think it could be that your o/s (operating system, Windows XP) needs reinstalling over the top of itself, but first try system restore, or it could just be that your computer has forgot who it is and what it does, firstly create an emergency boot disk, put the disk in the floppy drive (A:) then restart your computer, pick any option you want, then at the prompt (C:/>) type "sys a: c:" you should then see a message "System Transffered" remove the disk and reboot and see if its worked

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

hi, just done a bit of reseach, apparently you only need a new hard disk (hdd) but it still may be fixable by reinstalling your operating ststem

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

When your laptop starts and you see the dell emblem, try pressing on the F8 button. You should get a list of option, one of which should be 'Safe Mode'.

Try and start with this option and see. Post results.

5. Mr Newbie

Mr Newbie Geek Trainee

Thanks everyone.

Did not receive any system restore disks etc but got back on to Dell and basically said that the selling invoice contains a guarantee that the computer will function for at least one full year - the HDD must be a fundamental part of this.

They've agreed to send a new HDD plus necessary CD's to sort it out.

Hopefully, should be OK now (fingers crossed)

Thanks again

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no problem, just glad we could help.