any recomendation for parts for new machine?

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by stefan1988, Jul 14, 2005.

1. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

:chk: ok guys im thinking about building a computer I want it to be a gaming machine :good:
    I can spend around 1500 or something like that nothing too extreme also

like i was thinking maybe 2 gb of ram but each piece of 1gb i don't want upgrade later ram and have pieces of ram lying around :( you know what i mean I prefer to spend a little more but it will help me later on

I need pretty much a new mobo that has pci express I want a good mobo I dont want same thing happening to me like now I have this problem that socket 478 motherboards don't have pci express and I can't do nothing but sell my mobo and chip. I know you can get agp cards but i thinking a little about the future like graphics cards are changing to pci express so i don't want in future manufactures not making anymore agp cards because they concetrating on pci express cards

with that said let me tell you wat I need

motherboard(with pci express)

CPU(something reasonable guys don't get me a cpu that has so much power you can't use it all yet) my current processor is 3.0ghz

RAM(fast ram new games are using it :D like battefield 2 recommended is 2 gb of ram)

videocard(i want this to be nice hehehhe what's a gaming machine without the graphics card) i was thinking x800 but if you can come over nice suggestion guys it would be appreciated :good:

and last but not least 2 hard drives maximum 160 maybe i want set it raid

any advice or suggestions are appreciated guys

2. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Uhhhh, I can PM you a good parts list in a little while when I have time to put it together.

stefan1988 likes this.
  3. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

I'll write out a list too, compare and ask questions then

stefan1988 likes this.
  4. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

ok thanks guys I want it to be a good machine like when I get morrowind oblivion for pc i hope I can run it smooth and perfectly that game is so awesome :good:

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

You'll probably wanna get a 6800 series video card. ATI's not doing so great as far as grunt power over pricings.

stefan1988 likes this.
  6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

AMD CPU: Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego or 3500+ Venice
    MOBO: MSI K8T Neo4 Platinum SLI, Asus A8N SLI Deluxe, or DFI Lanparty-SLI
    HD: 2xMaxtor Diamondmaxplus9 80gigs (raid zero, and they're really quiet)
    GPU: 6800GT or X800Pro and mod into an XT but I'd recommend the 6800GT (by eVGA)
    RAM:2x CMX1024-3200C2PT (I have this, very good at benchmarks, and runs fast, I have 2 gigs DC)

I just picked out the best choices for the budget, and most bang for buck parts, the rest is up to you, hell, im only recommending

SLI is a good direction to go so you don't have to scrap your card later on, but instead buy another for less and together have the performance of the new high end cards in a year or two

socket 939 is holding much potential, the next X2 line and FX-59 are schedueled so far to be released on it, so upgrading should let you hold top pewrformance processors for a good year or two to come if you ever decide to upgrade, the processors I listed are awesome, and extremely overclockable, or also the 3700 is 320$, but it has a meg L2 cache

stefan1988 likes this.
  7. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

thanx for the recomendations by the way can you tell me what site you used to find parts or did you just googled it?

i looked and your recomendation i haven't tried any amd chips yet wat does the 3500 means 3.5ghz but they say the core clock speed is like 2.0 ghz something

also i was looking at the ram the one you metioned i went to tigerdirect.com to check the prices and i saw 2 memories but one was 10 bucks more expensive and i have no idea why but they have the same amount of memory

this one was . Corsair XMS PRO 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory with LEDs was 139.99

Corsair 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400 MHz CL2 Memory this one 149.99

8. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Ok, the 3500+ has nothing to do with the clock speed. It is simply a model number, like Intel's 540j. I think the second RAM is dual channel. And with zRock's config, the only thing I would change is the motherboard. I say stick to ASUS, ABIT, or DFI. Also I might downgrade the processor and upgrade the video card.

stefan1988 likes this.
  9. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

so what that means that chip is slower than my 3.0 ghz intel pentium 4 chip? because core clock is like 2.2ghz something also another question how much does fsb help i saw dif lanp party and has 2000mhz front side bus

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Alright, you can't compair the clockspeed of an Intel and AMD chip. The architechture is completly different and AMD can do much more with lower clock speeds. The 3700 for instance is faster than a Pentium 4 3.8GHz in many games. There are other factors than clock speed to concider, fsb for instance. On AMD 64 chips like the 3500, the fsb is integrated into the chip itself, making it function much faster, the L1 cache, where the data reaches first, is also much larger, 128Kb's, compair that to a P4 which is usually around 24Kb's or so. Not to say that P4's are bad by any means but it's good just to understand these things. By the way the whole 3500/3700 etc. thing is called the P-rating, it's a rough coorilation to a pentium chip. On average AMD figures a 3000 will perform as well as the chip you have for instance, but it varies, in games AMD excells but doesn't do as well in some more common apps.
    Any way I'll stop boring you and just say that what zRock suggested is very good and will give you an excellent gaming machine.

stefan1988 likes this.
  11. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

dont worry your not boring me in fact i like to heard talk like that so I learn somethig for future reference if i plan on the future to upgrade.

well I decided i can spend even a little more so im planning on getting a geforce 7800 or an 850xt

i want some advice i think the geforce 7800 is better but im not sure
    if the x850 packs more perfomance maybe i get it :good:

also another thing i was looking at a 7800 from bfg and there's alot of companies and my friend told me not to get a bfg or pny he told me to get an evga I want your opinons about how you feel about bfg and pny and if he is correct on telling me to get a evga

i never heard of evga so i dont know how good it is i just know pny and bfg are very well known :confused:

12. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

a 7800 is the best card line out yet, only it costs a hell lot, its like 1 and a half of a 6800Ultra.

eVGA is a trusted subline of nvidias, i don't know much about PNY, but BFG is just known for overclocked cards, though they charge a good deal more for their cards, the only bad side about eVGA is that sometimes there are complains of the cards getting a bit too hot.

the 7800GTX is currently the best single card out there, pair two of those up and you could have a gaming system optimal for the next two years, (highest graphics settings and still getting amazing fps.)

but the card costs around 500-600$

stefan1988 likes this.
  13. Addis

Addis The King

AMD's performance ratings were (don't know if they're same now) based on the theoretical equivilent a P4, and most ofthe time the ratings are true to it, or better.
    you caa get the 3500 with Venice core, which is significantly better than the previous cores, cooler, more overclockable due to lower power consumption and an enhanced on die memory controller. Plus its a Rev E chip, so it'll have SSE3.

A 7800 card will cost a lot, but prices are falling and you may want to wait before buying anything like that.

stefan1988 likes this.
  14. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

i have question guys im buying one 7800 do i need to have both cards on or can i use one and later get another card to have more speed

this is the avergae power for the 7800

920 million vertices/sec.
    >> 41.6GB/second memory bandwidth

and this is for the 6800

638 million vertices/sec.
    >> 35.2GB/second memory bandwidth

i mean that's a big difference to me my card used to be like 80 million vertices per second and the difference there is like 3 of my cards

now about the bfg card my friend say because they were overclocked not to get it

the 6800 is expensive but i prefer to buy the 7800 if prices for 7800 are falling better for me later :good: i get another 7800 card

15. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah, if you buy a SLI compatable motherboard than you can pop in one 7800GTX now and one identicle one later and effectively almost double performance. The only catch is it has to be the exact same card, so same brand, model, and specs. Yeah the 7800GTX is far faster than the 6800Ultra, completely new architechture, higher clock speeds, more pipelines and vertex shaders etc. I don't think the BFG card will give you any problems, they usually have better coolers to promote more overclocking and often times they bump up the clock speeds a little bit themselves. I personally wouldn't bother with them only because you could do the same thing yourself for no extra charge, but if it's the same price as the others you should be just fine buying it.

stefan1988 likes this.
  16. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

man i can't wait till i build my machine is gonna be so awesome im drooling just thinking of it i mean a radeon 9800 pro and x800 and 6800 they can handle games pretty well and the 7800 has so much power and if i need to upgrade later just insert just another card is gonna be so cool

but i got one problem where to buy the parts :( :( :(

is going to be kind of hard like my friend told me tiger direct is not that good a friend recomended me computergeeks but they don't have all stuff i need i could go to compusa but is way expesnsive aso best buy is way expensive i still not sure bout new egg yet im still thinking where im gonna get parts from

17. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

If you live in the US than www.newegg.com is the very best I've seen, Zipzoomfly has good prices but lousey selection.

stefan1988 likes this.
  18. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea Newegg has the best price/selection ratio. While you may save a few dollars somewhere else you'd be going to different websites to get each of your parts and then the shipping will get you. So over all Newegg is by far your best bet. Other than that everything looks good. I have the Venice 3500+ and it is a very good chip. It allows me to overclock, but my RAM doesn't. If I hadn't cheaped out on the RAM I could pretty easily hit speeds of 2.7-2.8 GHz.

stefan1988 likes this.
  19. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

yea I'd stick to zipzoomfly, i got free two day shipping and you can probably too, its hard to find certain products on their site, but try using pricegrabber.com , then you can find if any of the products you want are from them, they have awesome service, only once in a while shipping might go slow

stefan1988 likes this.
  20. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I've looked at stuff from them and Newegg beats their price on every part I've looked at. Now don't take this to mean everything on Newegg is cheaper, I'm just saying most stuff is. As far as shipping, some items on Newegg have free shipping, but it's never more than $10 for 1 product. Cases ship for like $8 tops I think.

stefan1988 likes this.