AOL modem issues

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by philipadams930, Jan 6, 2005.

1. philipadams930

philipadams930 Geek Trainee

Hi

I have trouble keeping my broadband connection active (it usually drops out after a few minutes). I have nailed the problem to the BT Voyager 100 modem supplied requiring too much power.

I want to replace this with either an internal PCI ADSL modem or a different USB modem from another manufacturer. After looking at a internal PCI modem on ebay in its description it said that it was 99.9% compatible with all ISPs, except AOL.

This led me to get in touch with AOL to find out if this was true and if so what USB external modems are compatible. There response was "Other modems will not be compatible and wont work only the free ones shipped with the software." This was their response to both internal PCI and external USB modems.

Does anyone know if this is true, as I find it hard to believe??
    THanks

2. The Gadget

The Gadget Geek Trainee

I have heard it works with the BT Voy 105..
    I also had same issue.. I know use a router.. Netgear 834g.. Its superb. Never dropped connection yet

3. afidelino

afidelino Geek Trainee

Gadget is right, i also have Netgear DG834G for my aol, but if you dont have wireless connection, you can just use Netgear DG834. Its easy to use, it has a wizard for ADSL connections. And its also a firewall... :good:

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I also have the Netgear DG834 excellent router! I think it can be had for around £70 or even less?