Apple iPad

Discussion in 'Tablets, Phones and Music Players' started by RHochstenbach, Jan 27, 2010.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Summary
    Apple has presented their tabled called iPad. It's basically a large version of the iPod Touch.

[​IMG]

iPad OS
    The iPad runs on the iPhone OS and uses all of those apps. Almost every app from the App Store runs on it. Aside from the Youtube on the iPhone/iPod Touch, it can also play Youtube HD videos.

Technical Details
    - Thickness: 0.5 inches
    - Weight: 1.5 pounds
    - Display: Full Capacitive Multi-touch, 9.7" IPS Display
    - CPU: 1 GHz Apple A4 chip
    - Capacity: 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB
    - Battery Life: 10 Hours. Standby time for over a month.
    - Wireless features: WiFi 802.11n (and 3G for the expensive ones), Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
    - Other features Speaker, Microphone, 30-pin connector

[​IMG]

Web Browsing
    The iPad uses Safari to browse the web. The interface is a mixture of Safari on the iPhone and Safari 4 for Mac OS X. The major disadvantage here is that it does not support Flash!

[​IMG]

Keyboard
    The keyboard has big keys and therefore make it easy to input text:

[​IMG]

iTunes
    iTunes on the iPad looks much like iTunes 9 for Mac OS X. It also includes the iTunes Store to purchase more items.

[​IMG]

Reading
    The iPad is an excellent device for reading. One of the examples is The New York Times:

[​IMG]

Another great addition is iBooks. This is a virtual book shelf with a store where books can be purchased.

[​IMG]

You can read your purchased books, and swipe through the pages like you'd do with a real book. You can also change the fonts and perform searches.

[​IMG]

Calendar and Address Book
    Both the calendar and the address book boot look very realistic on the iPad:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

iWork
    iWork is now available for the iPad. All three programs Pages, Numbers and Keynote look great on it.

[​IMG]

3G
    Some iPads include 3G connectivity and are unlocked. AT&T has a great deal for US users:
    - $29.99 a month for 250 MB
    - $49.99 a month for unlimited data
    - Free use of AT&T WiFi Hotspots
    - Uses so-called GSM Micro SIM cards

International deals will be available from June this year.

Pricing
    WiFi Only Models:
    16 GB: $499
    32 GB: $599
    64 GB: $699

WiFi and 3G Models:
    16 GB: $629
    32 GB: $729
    64 GB: $829

[​IMG]

Availability
    The WiFi only model will be available after 60 days (2 months) from now (± March 2010).
    The 3G model will be available after 90 days (3 months) from now (± April 2010).

Sniper likes this.
  2. HardwareHunter

HardwareHunter Geek Trainee

It has been gaining popularity since its release.

3. liciniusjack

liciniusjack Geek Trainee

What a great techy product is this? But is it for personal usage or it is
    feasible for official purpose How much does it cost for one piece? What are the after sales services in India?

4. HardwareHunter

^^ There is no international release of the iPads yet so chances are you won't be able to get after sales support.

I will wait for the next release maybe they'll come up with the cam built in and flash support.

5. RHochstenbach

I've imported it from the US a few weeks ago, and have to say I'm really impressed about it. You're right about the after sales service, but there are some companies here who fix iPads themselves. But it should be available worldwide within a few months from now :)

6. HardwareHunter

^^ iPad is a pretty new puppy, you don't want anyone touching it other than Apple.
    We can just hope for the best, that it won't get grouchy on you soon. :) I heard that it is set to release internationally on May 28th.

All the best for my friend!

7. HardwareHunter

I could not help but got one for myself. I got the 32gb iPad Wifi and it boy I am glad to get one. About the webcam issue, temporarily I found a solution. I found out that I can hook up my iPhone via bluetooth and use it as webcam. Just need to buy the Duplicam apps for $3.99. Works like wonder.

8. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I'd like one but not sure what I'd use it for to be honest! Have you guys read any iBooks?

9. RHochstenbach

I have a few free iBooks on it, and I have to say it's really nice to read them. I'm not really touching any 'real' books when I can get them on the iPad.

I usually use iBooks, Safari, Mail and Twitterific on my iPad.

10. HardwareHunter

Usually use it for surfing the net while I am out. Haven't tried the iBooks yet. I am a book lover and for me, still nothing beats the scent of a second hand book.

11. janetredx

janetredx Janet Reed

You can get iPad from ebay or Amazon to India or anywhere in the world !

12. HardwareHunter

I got the wifi model and I am regretting it. I should have bought the 3g since I need to be online most of the time and finding myself in the middle of no wi fi connection is making me go nuts. I am selling this iPad soon.

13. RHochstenbach

You can always purchase a MiFi adapter. That's a small device powered by a battery which converts a 3G connection to WiFi.

14. HardwareHunter

I need 3g more than I do with wi fi. Does Mifi do that?

15. HardwareHunter

So far, I havent experienced any problems with my iPad. OS4 will be released on November which will make it more useful.

16. jeffjohnson90

jeffjohnson90 Geek Trainee

Hey guys,

In regards to the ipad 2, does anyone know how much RAM it has? Thanks

17. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Apparently it will have 512MB but some rumours suggest 256MB. Oddly its something that wasn't mentioned in the presentation.