apple laptops

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by jada2008, Mar 20, 2009.

1. jada2008

jada2008 Geek Trainee

Can some1 tell me the difference between ibook powerbook macbook etc im buying 1 & need 2 know

2. zeus

zeus out of date

I fix iBooks and sell them on the net. Ive never really looked into Powerbook but as far as I know they are the same.

They look different, the iBook maxed out at 1.4ghz (Powerbook 1.7ghz), iBook also maxed out with a 14" screen (Powerbook 17")
    The Powerbooks got bigger harddrives as standard, they also did some high resolution screens. Id imagine the graphics card is better too. Some (if not all) Powerbooks have DDR333. iBook only have DDR266.

I would like to say which is more reliable but I dont know Powerbooks well enough.

iBooks suffer from dry solder on the dc in so they wont charge. Graphics heatsink separates itself to give dodgy graphics. LCD inverters die. AC adapters have awful connectors, reed switches smash in screen casing so it either goes to sleep or wont wake up, backlights go on the screens and the screens are also sensitive to pressure marks. All the cables that run into the screen casing (VGA, LCD Inverter, Reed Switch, Microphone, Bluetooth and Wifi aerials) run over the hinges. Everytime you open or close the lid the wires get crushed. Apple put crappy steel tape over the wires but its not good enough. The wires break. And of course the strange "logic board failure"

To be quite honest, I think the Powerbook will probably have the same issues. They are great to make £100-£150 out of of but I would never buy one to keep!