Apple mac screen punched , can this have cause hard drive failure.

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by blackcross, Dec 14, 2008.

1. blackcross

blackcross Geek Trainee

hey , i really need some advice . my apple mac notebook laptop was punched . it was hit fairly hard on the back of the screen while the laptop was open, forcing the screen to close. There is no impact damage such as cracks or dents to the back of the screen . The lap top has been looked at and diagnosed with a dead hard drive . My question to you is , could this have been caused by the hit ? surely the hard drive is burried deep in the inside of the computer and would not have been effected by a blow to the screen . The lap top could have been damaged in another way as it was left on a table at a party . what is a more lightly explenation for the hard drive failure ? im screwed if the only explenation is that it was punched as il have to pay a fortune to get it fixed . Thank you for your time and i really hope someong can help . thanks again . blackcross .

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, if someone else punched it, I'd find out who that was.

While hard drives aren't meant to be chucked around like a football, they do have shock protection on them for travel purposes. The hard drive is typically somewhere on the lower half of the laptop, not on or behind the screen. Unless the laptop fell off the surface, my view is that there shouldn't have been enough of a shock to have damaged the drive.

I'd chalk it up to bad timing, but I don't know how Apple will look at it.