Are the Z5500's for me??

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by yepyep, Sep 3, 2006.

1. yepyep

yepyep Geek Trainee

Help! Don't know much about speaker systems so hopefully someone can give me a few pointers here. Mainly want to use them with for music (itunes on the pc), but also like to run a few other systems through it i.e cd player, decks, and tv(for movies). I have a budget of around £200-250, which would get me the Logitech Z5500 system, but is that the right choice for what i want to do?

I suppose its also important to have the right set up on your computer i.e. good sound card and all that, so any tips there wouldn't go a miss either.

A big thanks to any contributors.

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

3. tehown3r

tehown3r Geek Trainee

Hello, yes they're a very nice pair of speakers. Depending on the audio format you have. Having the right sound system can make all the difference to Audio on any form, games, music, movies, etc...
    They're a THX-certified, 500-watt 5.1 surround sound speaker system. Which meens alot of power to play your music on any listening volume your prefer, 5.1 audio will make things sound alot clear, and realistic, like water running from a stream in the background, with the speakers set up correctly, you'll also hear the sound of water comming from the rear. I would highly recomend it, though i would like to suggest these pairs of speakers too you, one i own actually, I play everything from Rock, Techno, Dance on them, and excellent sound. Games run great on them too.
    Surround - 5.1 > Logitech® X-530
    Hopefully I was of some assistance to you.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. yepyep

yepyep Geek Trainee

Thanks, also what about my computer set up? Do I need a new sound card, or software to go with the system? Ive only got the original stuff which came with my pretty cheap desktop.

5. tehown3r

tehown3r Geek Trainee

Would you happen to know the model of your Motherboard/Computer Desktop, some motherboards, and some Desktop computers have already have the right audio hardware for them, most chances though, you need a new sound card, because in many cases they just put generic junk into systems. By telling me your systems model, or board model, I could help you determine if you need a sound card. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. yepyep

yepyep Geek Trainee

Im not too sure! How can i find that info out? Im pretty sure i have soundmax integrated sound card??

7. tehown3r

tehown3r Geek Trainee

You can identify the computer using this very useful program called CPU-Z
    Once the program has been launched click in the mainboard tab, it will tell you the information about it, such as manufacture, and board model. you can just post your board info here, I should be able to help you.
    Direct download of CPU-Z:
    http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-136.zip

8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

If you have some enough money, get the Z5500's, they own :), good sound quality, and increadible bass for a computer sound system,dunno if your a fan of lots of bass, but i did some videos:

The subwoofer is big too, some people may find it hard to place, but its not hard, just need to do some thinking :p

You intergrated sound will be ok, maybe not the best quality though, some mp3's you may hear some crackly crap in the mp3, thats just because it's a low bitrate and z5500 speakers quality is so good you can hear the crap :p

9. yepyep

yepyep Geek Trainee

Here's that info on my motherboard:

Motherboard: dell comp corp
    Model: OWF887
    Chipset: intel i865P/PE/G/i848P
    Southbridge: intel 82801EB (ICH5)
    Sensor: SMSC 7401
    REV: A2

BIOS: dell
    Version: AO1

Wills, are you saying that i may not need another card? Its the music im mostly going to use them for and i dont do any gaming on the pc??

10. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Well its not a must for a new soundcard, it will slightly improve sound quality, i got an X-FI Fatal1ty sound card, the sound is soooooooo much better, but it was still extreamly good with the intergrated sound card that i used with the Z5500 for some months :)