Asus 6670 issue

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by masok, Oct 15, 2012.

1. masok

masok Geek Trainee

Hi,

Im having a weird issue with an Asus HD 6670 1GB DDR5.

This is my rig:
    Motherboard: Asus m5A97 EVO
    CPU: Phenom II X4 955
    VGA: Asus HD 6670
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3
    PSU: Generic 500W

I had a MSI 4670 before, and everything was fine, no problems whatsoever.

Recently, a friend gave me his 6670 because he upgraded to something better.
    He never had an issue with this card either.

I installed it, downloaded the drivers from the ATI website, so I'm up to date with that.

Now the issue is that the screen sometimes flickers.
    It is a quick thing, just a second, it doesn't really mess up your game or anything, but it bothers me, and it is not supposed to do that.
    The screen kinda gets messed for just a second, I wouldn't know how to explain it better.
    I'll post a video on the issue, so that you can get a better idea of what's going on.

This only happens ingame, well, at least, I haven't seen it happening just watching a movie.
    But it doesn't happen everytime either, it might happen a couple of times during a match of League of Legends, or it might just be fine the entire game.

This was not happening with the previous card I had.

I've been reading a little bit and I haven't seen anyone stumbling with the same issue I had, maybe similar.
    I still tried some of the thing mentioned on other forums.
    I underclocked the VGA.
    Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers.
    Disabled AMD Overdrive.

Nothing worked.

Also, someone mentioned that the issue might be the PSU, but I would assume that if that was the issue, the flicker should be present all the time, and that is not the case.

I'm going to try to get a screenshot so that you guys can see the issue a little better, but any recommendation or idea, I'm up for anything.

The card is out of warranty, it was just a present from a friend.
    I asked him about the issue, he mentioned that he didn't experience anything like this before, when he was using the VGA.

I've already done 3 clean installs of Window, no changes, the issue is still there.

I have ruled out the monitor, since I tried a couple and the issue is the same.
    I don't think it's the rig either. When I first got the card, I had another setup, and I saw the same error.
    I upgraded to my current mobo+cpu+ram combo and it's still there.
    I ran drive sweeper a couple of times as well, no changes.

It might be worth mentioning that the graphics are just fine, I can see everything very clearly, and I get good FPS as well, it's just that flickering thing that is bothering me.

I checked the temps as well, and everything seems to be normal.
    VGA is on 29° Idle, and it goes on to 35°ish when ingame, the highest temp was 40°, which I think it's still ok.

As of right now, I am open for any (ANY) suggestions.
    Like I said, the card is out of warranty, so the only thing to do is to sell it for spare parts or something, but I would like to try every option out there.

Does this seem like something that could be fixed by 'baking' the card?

Here's the video on the issue.
    Please ignore the pixel line, I was just trying an old LCD screen I had laying around to check if it was a monitor issue or not.

Any ideas will do.

Thanks in advance