Attn Hardware Einsteins

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by pauljok, Jan 4, 2007.

1. pauljok

pauljok Geek Trainee

Hi Gang - I am a salesman from Chicago looking for some help and feedback from experienced IT pros. I was laid off from a software sales position and am accepting a new position for a VAR. I need to ramp up quickly on hardware. What book or books or reference material or websites would you recommend to someone to learn hardware basics like what is a server or router or switch or hub or cabling and such. Plus any other pertinent info that would help. THANK YOU !!!

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I think your first choice was a great one - joining this site!
    Welcome!

IMHO, if I wanted to find out, I would try Wikipedia as an encyclopedia of sort.
    I would also try a few books from the library like - "A+ for dummies" or "Hardware for Dummies" etc.
    Otherwise, some members here are actual hardware/PC/Network engineers and can probably answer a lot of your questions. However, they are not always on tap.... ;) and you will need specific questions.

Good luck and enjoy your stay! :cool:

3. zeus

zeus out of date

Wikipedia all the way!

The only thing wiki lacks is a good list of CPUs. There are lists but I would never quote from them.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i don't really know of any, except wiki, or just ask specific question on here[ot]yeah, welcome[/ot]