AVG Problems

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by RA, May 23, 2005.

1. RA

RA Geek Trainee

Can’t remove, or can’t install. Message:”Could not initialize AVG Anti-Virus kernel interface. Application cannot run”. Anyone know the cure, without a clean install?
    Thanks
    RA

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Could you please be more specific as to exactly what you're trying to accomplish? Also, any more detail you can provide as to the error or as to the circumstances? Have you had any close encounters with any virii before this incident?

Don't take this as fact just yet, but I suspect that you may have an especially nasty form of virus/trojan known as a 'rootkit'. In case of rootkit, the only thing to remedy the situation is a clean install... :swt: Hopefully, you are just experiencing a bit of registry corruption (which is typical for all Windows users across all versions of Windows).

-AT

3. RA

RA Geek Trainee

What happened: I switched computer locations. The PC to Mac location, the Mac to PC location. At first I believe everything was OK. Then I noticed that I wasn’t receiving email on the PC, but I would receive email on the Mac. Thankfully! I’ve since switched computers back again. (I was preparing for the Digidesign Digi 002 Rack and an external hard drive that I just got in) When the AVG would start to scan an incoming email, it would never stop spinning its icon on the task bar, and I would never get the email. But I would on the Mac! I did several System Restores but that didn’t help the situation, so I went to the Add/Remove column and tried to remove the AVG application. It wouldn’t remove. I went to Program files and deleted the AVG icon there. It still would not remove from the Add/Remove. I downloaded a new free AVG. When I tried to initialize it, I got the message: “Could not initialize AVG Anti-Virus kernel interface. Application cannot run”. I’m not sure whether I was experiencing this problem before, or after I switched computers. Everything was up in the air as to how I was going to rearrange my music studios.
    On the Mac, I am now experiencing an Invalid Authorization Code message when I try to initialize Pro Tools LE 6.9 to work with the 002 Rack. Come to think of it, I was experiencing a problem on the Mac and ran Repair Permissions and that fixed it. And the problem could very well have been with the email. I can’t remember! That’s my tale of woe. Thanks for your reply Anti-Trend. Always good to hear from you.

RA

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Alright, thankfully it doesn't sound like a rootkit at this point, but it does sound as if System Restore may have caused more problems than it fixed in this instance. It's entirely possible that the registry entries from your earlier copy of AVG are conflicting with the later existing version of AVG. If that's the case, both uninstalls and the actual functionality of the product are broken.

I suppose it may be possible to remove each and every registry entry pertaining to AVG by hand, but that would be time consuming and risky (if you remove the wrong registry key, you could cause Windows to cease booting). As far as automatic registry cleaners go, I've never used software of that nature that actually worked. Either they didn't really clean out anything, or they corrupted the entire registry...

If you really don't want to reinstall Windows (again), perhaps the most attractive solution would be to simply install a different AV. However, if you've already got some registry corruption you may end up doing a complete reinstall sooner than later anyway. :(

-AT

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I've found if you delete the program files, and registry files that should be under hkey_local_machine -> Progams-> AVG and delete all entries, you might be able to reinstall AVG. I'll post back a more accurate registry route to some AVG values when I get home, I'm at school now ^_^

6. RA

RA Geek Trainee

Thanks Ninja! I appreciate the input, but that registry stuff is "way" over my head. Music I understand. Computers no!

RA

7. RA

RA Geek Trainee

Anti-Trend. I still have Norton Anti-Virus, and I don’t want to bother with a reinstall right now. Your explanations help a lot in making future decisions about the PC. Thanks a million!

RA