Barebone box, can not start after CMOS clear...help pls

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ask111, Feb 26, 2006.

1. ask111

ask111 Geek Trainee

Hi
    I am not a newbie for hardware but I am not a techie either.

I bought a barebone system with following config ( just one week back )
    Abit KN8 SLI sokcet 939
    AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    MWave 1GBX2 RAM DDR 400
    Xplode Case with 450 watts power supply

Added two Maxtor SATA drives for RAID.
    Simple 32 MB PCI video card ( I didnt buy the machine for gaming )

Machine boot up fine initially. I was trying to install Windowx XP 64 bit on SATA drives. Pressed F6 while installing and gave the driver etc.. it loaded up but get stuck on " Setup is Starting Windows at the bottom of screen". This happened several times. I read about this problem and suggestion was to clear the CMOS and start. I diconnected power, turned off PSU and cleared CMOS by changing the jumper for few seconds. After that the machine does not boot.

I have taken out all HDD and even RAM and tried to start.when I start the PSU starts and I get the LEDs on motherboard and CPU fan starts, but there is no beep no signal.. nothing.

Also checked motherboard's main power cable ( 20 pin ) with a multimeter for all the voltages and they are correct.

Any suggestions...

Thanks

Ahmed

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Did you put the CMOS jumper back to it's original position?

3. ask111

ask111 Geek Trainee

Yes.. I didnt forget that..

Thanks

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, given that's been clarified, my next guess would be the power supply. Basically, the cheapest pieces of crap go into the power supplies included with cases. Look at the Enermax EG565P-VE or Antec TruePower TPII550 for a good unit that'll provide you the power you need. I've got a link to a whole lot more info regarding power supply selection and why you need a good one in my sig.
    The symptoms look like that power supply doesn't have the grunt, and it's nothing to do with the wattage. You've got a very poor unit and it's showing why it's included with the case at what seemed like a great deal.