Basic home network

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by spuff, Feb 14, 2005.

1. spuff

spuff Big Geek

Could someone suggest to me a basic home networking system that's cheap and allows two computers to connect to the net independantly of each other? At the moment, I have an Alcatel Speedtouch modem (RJ11 in, USB out) and an ethernet cable from my built-in network card going downstairs to the other machine. But that means I have to have my PC running so the other can connect. I also own a Qband 5-port ethernet switch so would there be any way to configure it to have the computers connect independantly? I'm no (well, not yet!) expert with networking so I could do with some help! Thanks!
    Also, my connection is Wanadoo ADSL.

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

The only way your going to be able to setup your Alcatel ADSL modem to work "independentely" with the computers is if you either:

1.Build a very small server, that purely looks after the network (controls DHCP and Internet Sharing) and have it on all the time.

2.Purchase a router that directly connects to your Alcatel ADSL modem, (would have to have the Ethernet option on your Alcatel modem) and intelligently keeps it online, whilst connecting the rest of your computers (the router would control the internet/DHCP/network).

Unfortunately these types of routers can be quiet expensive..

3. spuff

spuff Big Geek

Would you be able to recommend one to me? One with the lowest price tag! lol

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Does your Modem have an Ethernet connection?

5. afidelino

afidelino Geek Trainee

If price is not a question for you, you can get Netgear ADSL Router Modem DG834 (wired network) or Netgear ADSL Router Modem DG834g (wired + wireless). You wont be needing your Alcatel modem for this.

6. spuff

spuff Big Geek

There's no ethernet on my modem. It's just the one my ISP sent me! It's RJ11 in and USB out ... that basic! I don't really want to spend more than £40 but I will go over that if that's what it takes. How much would an ASDL router with modem cost for a cheap one? I don't need anything flashy for two machines!
    If I were to build a small server, would I only need something like a Pentium 2 system?

7. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

:good: hi for a server just to handle basically network traffic a smallish system would probly b ok however i think that a adsl router and a new modem would be the best bet because there small, silent, generally cheap(wired versions) and do the job fine. i have broadband with a cable modem a qtec router and a 5 prt switch and i have no trouble with it. post back and ill see if i can price ya some bits up. hope this helps Dave :good:

8. spuff

spuff Big Geek

I've been looking on eBay and I've seen refurbished Compaq PII 400 systems for £25 (128 RAM, CD-ROM, etc) and if I got one of these and loaded Windows 2000 on it, would this do the job just fine?
    Noise and size isn't really an issue because I can keep it downstairs and out of the way! I doubt a system like this would be too noisy anyway. I could also use it for additional storage or for some old skool Quake 2 LAN gaming! lol!
    Would this path seem the better way than a new router? (the router would cost more!)

9. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

yea thats an ok way of doing it but ull need like 3 network cards 1 for internet in 1 to one pc and 1 for the other. really theres not much in it if it was me i wud go 4 the router but its up to you ill put a list below of what equipment ull need either way. (just incase you dnt know)

Server Way

1 spare computer (like the pII)
    3 network cards
    1 straight ethernet cable (from the modem to the mouse)
    2 cat5e (crossover cable from the server to the computers)
    1 kettle lead to power server
    1 moniter just to set it up

Router Way

1 adsl modem with ethernet output
    1 adsl router (with as many output ports as u wnt)
    3 straight ethernet cables (not crossover)
    1 adapter (transformer) to power router

Hope this helps dave.

There is one other way that might work if you have a server with two network card one in and one out and the one out went to a switch then yuo could have as many ports as you want and switches are cheap post back if this helped any Dave :good:

10. spuff

spuff Big Geek

I think I'm going to go with the server. I've got all the network cards/cables/monitor/etc so that's no worry. And where I'm living now, it's only going to be the two machines it'll be serving and the most it'll ever do is three. I could eventually get a bigger HDD and use it for more storage. The only reason I'm doing this is so I don't need to be woke up early in the morning if someone wants to use the net!
    The system I have my eye on is a Compaq AP400
    Pentium II 400
    128MB RAM
    4.3GB HDD
    Network card
    CD and floppy drives.
    And that's £25 and £12 delivery.

11. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

Hi m8 tht sounds fine for what you need and a good price too! post when when uve got it setup to tell us how its working and dnt forget to post if ya get any trouble hope i helped m8 Dave :good:

12. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

What's with all this "Server" stuff? I'm assuming that means you'll be using Windows ICS to share your internet access? Instead of dealing with that headache/security nightmare, consider IPCop.

13. spuff

spuff Big Geek

Basically, yes! I figured just buying an old PC would be cheaper and more useful than a router. I'm just gonna have that wired up to the net running Win2k and sharing it out.
    That IPCop looks good but a bit above my head considering my limited knowledge! I'll definately look into it though.

14. Anti-Trend

I'm suggesting you do both. Take your old PC and throw IPCop on it, effectively making it a powerful firewalled router. You don't need any Linux knowledge to set one up; it's pretty self-explanitory. Only takes about 5 minutes to get going, so it's no big ordeal. It doesn't cost anything, as opposed to W2k. And security wise, there's no comparison.

My advice to you is to at least try IPCop, and see how it works out for you. If it's too complicated, you can still do the other thing. I'd just never, ever recommend that course of action, since I don't think it's in your best interest. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.

-AT

15. spuff

spuff Big Geek

I've heard of having a dual boot system where I could have Linux for security and Windows if my sister wants to use it. Would anyone like to point me in the direction of info about this?
    I've NEVER used Linux before (except once where I helped my ex with some Java assignments for uni) so I've no idea where to get it and how to use it! Is there a sort of 'Linux for Dummies' website anywhere?

16. Anti-Trend

For desktop usage, I recommend starting out with either Mandrake Linux or Suse. Both are excellent for desktop or server usage, and both can be had for free. I personally use Mandrake on my home system, and my wife does as well. As far as an introduction to Linux, I recommend "Moving To Linux: Kissing The Blue Screen Of Death Goodbye!" (you can get it on Amazon or at Barnes & Noble). Otherwise, Google for "Introduction Linux" or some such phrase. You'll find a myriad of tutorials, walkthroughs, free online publications and stories of personal experience. If you have any specific questions, you're welcome to inquire here at hardwareforums.com in the Linux section. I'll do my very best to help you out.

To install Linux and Windows in a multiboot environment, the procedure is very simple. First, install Windows. You'll need to have your Windows installer partition only a portion of the HDD for your Windows installation, and leave the remainder of the HDD unpartitioned. Once Windows is on there, you'll want to install Linux on the remaining HDD space. To do that, just boot to your Linux installation disc and specify to Linux that it will be installing to the unused portion of the HDD. In Mandrake or Suse, this is simple as a few mouse clicks. Linux will automatically set up a bootloader that will give you the option of booting to either Windows or Linux when you start up your PC.

Let me know if you have any questions...
    -AT

17. Anti-Trend

Oh, I see... we seem to have had a misunderstanding! I wasn't suggesting that you multiboot Windows and Linux on the old PC you're purchasing; I was suggesting you install IPCop on it and use it for a dedicated router. But if you ever want to multiboot with Linux, the above method is the way to do it. :)

18. spuff

spuff Big Geek

Got the computer. Tried to install Windows ... with no luck! First, it wouldn't acknowledge the HDD was there then when I finally got it to notice, when it goes through all the formatting and copying files, it restarts but instead of continuing, it goes right back to the beginning again! (just says 'Press any key to boot from CD') I tried the HDD in another machine and it installed perfect. What was wierd is that on this Compaq, there's no way of accessing the BIOS (press F10, takes me to another screen and then goes back after a few seconds). I even flashed it with SoftPaq ... still, nothing!
    I tried installing IPCop but still similar problems. Should I just ask for an exchange or refund or is there a simple solution?
    I know this post is kind of a different subject matter but this is a networking thread so ... !

19. spuff

spuff Big Geek

Got everything up and running ... eventually! I now have an IPCop dedicated machine sharing my connection out. But There's a problem. The IPCop machine boots ok and everything but after about 10 mins, the monitor goes blank and then a few mins after that, it switches the monitor off. But after it switches off, it will not let me surf the net on another machine in the house. If I press one of the arrow keys, it 'wakes' it back up again but even when it wakes, still no internet traffic. So every 15 mins, I have to reboot the IPCop machine. Any idea why?

20. spuff

spuff Big Geek

Ignore that last post ... I found out that it was some crappy Compaq powersave thing!