Basic home network

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by spuff, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Righty-O, it's the ACPI settings in the BIOS. :) BTW, once an IPCop is setup, you can do all the configuration and administration from the secure web interface. You no longer need a monitor, keyboard, or even a video card in that machine! :good:

2. spuff

spuff Big Geek

Seeing as how I'm now to both Linux and networking in general, it took me a day or so to figure it all out (I thought the GUI was accessed through the machine itself, not from another location!). But I've just swapped what I thought was gonna be my IPCop box with my mum's computer because my IPCop box was higher spec than hers! (I thought it seemed a waste!) But once I figured out what to do, it took me about 10 minutes to get the other box up and running, from start to finish!
    I figured I'll need a keyboard because we're prone to power cuts and if I'm not there, someone else will have to login to use the net ... don't suppose anyone knows how to set it up to login as 'root' automatically?

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You shouldn't need to access the machine as root anymore to get online! Like I said earlier, you can do everything through your web browser now, as in on your client PC. Just put in your IPCops IP address, followed by ':81'. Example:

http://192.168.0.1:81

It'll ask you for a username and password. The username is 'admin', the password is the admin password you set while you were configuring it (not the root password).