Before I buy: Would this graphics card be a good match for...

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Brian Entei, Oct 14, 2013.

?

Is the graphics card I've elected to buy the best bet for my system?

1. Yes! It's perfect!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, But you can do better...(Explain in comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, It's not a very good match, but you could get...(Explain in comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, It may not even work at all...(Explain in comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

Before I buy it, I would like your opinion on whether or not this graphics card is a good match for the computer that I own: The card is a SPARKLE 700041(SP610L1024LC) GeForce GT 610 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Low Profile Video Card; and my computer is a Dell Dimension B110. Old, I know, but I would very much like to squeeze as much life out of this old desktop as possible, and with this graphics card, I'm hoping to get to play all my favorite games again(they've all gone up requirement-wise - OpenGl 2.0+ or DirectX 10+...).

The card in question is a PCI card, and the only 3 ports in my computer are PCI. As such, my desktop can only have PCI cards, not PCIe or PCI-Express cards.

I only have a limited range that I may buy from - $25 to $75 - but if you just really want to list a crazy graphics card, you may, but know that it won't get me anywhere.

Please, your thought on this matter are most welcome! If I have been unclear, please ask me about it, and I will try to get back with you on that. I hope you go and have a good day! Thanks,

-Brian Entei

P.S. Here is an additional resource that you may need:

Service manual for Dell Dimension B110:
    ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-1100_Service Manual_en-us.pdf

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

A couple of Questions here ! What OS are you running? How big is your power Supply ? I don't think that video card will work.. Are you running 64 bit OS ?
    Also will your PSU be able to Run that Card? I am on a Older Dell Dimension 2400 with almost the same specks..

3. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

@Ghostman 1
    I am a tech aid at my school, and have installed 64 bit cards in 32 bit systems successfully beforehand, so that is not an issue. As for the power supply, it is the stock supply that comes with the B110, or the "PS-5251-2DS Dell Power Supply". As for the OS, I have the factory XP Home Edition(x86) on it, and it dual boots to Windows 7 Professional 32 bit, with all the Drivers correctly installed, in case you think that is an issue. The power supply says on it's label that it puts out DC 250 watts;

input voltage: [100 ~ 120V 6A, 50 - 60 Hz] OR [200 ~ 240 3A, 50 - 60 Hz]
    output voltage(this is what the label says):

[+5V - - - /22A MAX] [-12V - - - /1A MAX]

[+5V(FP) - - - /2A MAX] [+33V - - - /18A MAX]

[+12V - - - /16A MAX]

Sorry if that's confusing, but I couldn't find the character/symbol for Direct current from Alternating Current.

Thanks for the quick reply!

-Brian Entei

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

@Brian Entei:
    It will probably work, But it might draw allot of juicy from your PSU...

5. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

So, what is your recommendation with the PSU?

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I would install at least a 500 watt or larger, Dell uses proprietary systems so the PSU might have to be a Dell ... But on allot of there older Dells, A normal psu will work..
    My 2400 uses a normal psu, so you might get away with it..Just make sure you buy a brand name psu.. like Antec/OZC/Cosair....

7. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

Okay, great! Thanks for the advice. I'll post back here when(if) I find a good PSU and get your opinion on it. Again, my budget is not that great, so it probably won't be the BEST one out there, but I'm still looking to get one that's going to, like you said, support the graphics card. I'll do some research on the card and my motherboard and see what I can find. Thanks again,

-Brian Entei

8. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

Oh, and one more thing, this video was me showing my Dell Dimension B110, and I was explaining that I had only recently found out that I could put graphics cards in PCI slots, and that those slots were PCI slots in the first place, so maybe you could give me some feedback on that as well, if you like?

-Brian Entei

9. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

10. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

Okay, so for the RAM, I searched what you typed, and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/ACP-EP-Memory-PC3200-184-PIN-AA32C12864-PC400/dp/B0000TSJVI

Buying two of those would cost me roughly $28.50, so if that is the correct RAM, then that's a good buy for me.

As for the graphics card you posted, is that lower spec-wise because you re-compensated for the stock PSU of the Dimension, or is that card the best one for my system, because I found this one(or this lower-spec one), and I am thinking that it would be much better for coding and running games with OpenGL 3.0+. If you think I should compromise and buy the card you posted and wait for a new desktop(one WITHOUT Windows 8), then that's fine, but if the card I picked would work, then I would love to get it and use it(it's just that both mine and yours are around $60, so If I can get the best performance for my $$, then I'm for it).

Thanks for helping out,

-Brian Entei

P.S. If I buy the one I want to buy, I'll need a bigger PSU(watt-wise) becasue mine only puts out 250 watts, but the card's minimum is 300... I'll look for another PSU that puts out 500 like you said, if it's not ridiculously priced.

11. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

How does this PSU look? I'm not quite sure about it, and I can't seem to find any 'official' links from dell either:

http://www.eboxdirect.com/400waatxposu1.html

P.S. I can't seem to be able to search for a PSU from the brand name companies you listed that is compatible with my B110, can you offer any help with this, or maybe list the one you bought?

Edit: This may not be relevant, but I have everything I'm looking to buy typed up on this page:

http://enteisislandsurvival.no-ip.org/Files/Wish_List.html

12. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

13. Brian Entei

Brian Entei Geek

14. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek