best adsl modem for linux?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Sniper, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

whats the best modem out there with the best or at least decent support in Linux? I was looking at the Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch/Firewall.

what do you guys think?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Any external ADSL modem with an ethernet-out is completely platform independant, so that's the way I'd recommend. Then just hook that bad boy up to your router, and you've got internet access for your Linux machines, Windows, Mac, Palm, Java-powered toaster, whatever. :)

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

thanks, asking because I currently have a usb adsl modem, I found drivers but its difficult to install, I wana get away from having to make it work with linux.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I agree, but it's even worse with Windows, because if you *do* get it working, you have security to worry about... :eek: I just have a Westell external ADSL modem hooked up to my Netgear FVS318 Firewall, and I never have to think about what I'm running behind it. Stateful Packet Inspection, hardware VPN, and 8-port integrated 10/100. A lotta bang-for-$$$. :good:

You could always have an external Modem hooked up to a custom-built Linux router made from an old PC, if you have one. That'd work just fine too. :)