Better not to vote?

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Impotence, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

As I'm coming up to an age where i vote, and i will be able to vote as soon as I'm 18 i have a simple question.

If i have no interest in politics and i don't know the difference between political party's A and B... should i really risk voting? in other words, if i don't know what I'm voting for, should i vote at all!

Please do NOT mention any political party's/leader/politicians in this thread! this is a discussion about voting, not who you could be voting for!

EDIT: All out war, mentioning party names is fine (not that i could stop you in the first place :p) but try to keep it to the UK

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I wuld say, start spending some time in listening/reading news. Jst half an hour in listening will do ur whole dae job. It will also increase ur lots of knowledge. ND every single vote makes a big difference.... like a drop drop of water fills out the whole pound....

3. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

If you can be bothered to learn about both parties, then I would. If not... I wouldn't vote.

I don't take much interest in politics, mainly because all that ever seems to happen is lots of promises that are never fulfilled, and lots of arguing. For these reasons, I probably won't vote when I'm old enough to.

4. Impotence

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i agree, there all as bad as 1 another, well they are in UK

6. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I think that almost every party has its own website. Maybe google for them, and then compare the information with each other. That is how I do it ;)

7. Impotence

the biggest problem is trusting them to do what they say, and that there not just saying it to get elected.

for some reason i trust the green party, as i instantly identify them as trying to do some good. even there campaign t-shirts are printed with vegetable dye's!

PS edited first post

8. Addis

Addis The King

It's pretty pointless to talk about voting in the UK without mentioning the parties. You'll need to look at the manifestos and overall direction of each of the parties, including Labour, Conservative, Lib Dem, Monster Raving Looney Party etc. Some people vote a certain party because they agree with their fiscal policy or their stance of welfare, while others vote for non-economic reasons. It's up to you to decide who you want in power, and if I were you I would not waste the vote.

9. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

As with any political party, it will say the right things to get in first. Later on their manifest is guidlines at best. The problem with small patrties like the greenies is that they tend to be heavy on enviormental issues but near enough sit on the fence or just generaly a bit wishy-washy, when it comes to social or economic issues.
    If you are really bothered about voting, which I think you should be, then yes, the best thing to do, if you are unsure, is to read the manifest carefully.
    I cannot vote yet as I am not a citizen, yet. But from what I know so far (11 years in August) I would probably vote for the LibDem.

The bottom line is - whether it made a blind bit of difference or not, you should vote! It is no good complaining about stuff when all along you have a tool to try and change things, which you do not use. Voting is the only way for the small citizen to participate in the democratic process. A clische but as with all clisches, it is bang on.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Voting is a way of voicing your opinion on a situation. You should vote because you have the right to, so why not take advantage of it. Many people don't like the politics, but then don't vote. In effect, when you do that, it looks like you don't care enough to sock it to the politicians. I guarantee you that if one party get's it handed to them in an election, they will take notice.

People tell me that if I don't vote for someone in one of the two main parties, I'm throwing my vote away. No, if I didn't vote, I'm throwing my vote away. It's my vote, and I will give it to whomever I please.

I don't vote for a party. While I consider myself fairly conservative, I do not vote straight for one party.

11. zeus

zeus out of date

IMO it doesnt matter if you vote for the tories or labour.... they both talk enough shit to get in power then realise they cant live up to anything they said in election manifestos.
    I dont see the point in voting for any of the outsiders other than Lib Dems. None will ever have enough time in the commons to make any difference. Only the Lib Dems will ever come close to becoming like Labour or Conservative but I dont think they will ever outdo the opposition beit labour or conservative.

As for the upcoming election..... god knows what will happen. Gordon Brown just isnt all that popular and David Cameron comes across as sleezy to a lot of people. Hes overdone the "im just like you" thing. No politician are like normal people. They came from the same boring planet most scientists come from.

EDIT: sorry, I missed the bit about not talking about specific parties.

If you think voting will make a difference then vote.... If you read all the papers and magazines etc and watch the news, talkshows, parliament channel etc etc for a few years you will fall into it, have an opinion on the days issues but after a while you realise it takes MPs for ever and a day just to have a meeting about a meeting they are planning ta have in a few months time. It seems they drag things out for so long people forget. Like the prisons today! It was a good 2 months ago we had spaces down to the dozens and 2 months on they havent arranged anything so we have the problem again.

12. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

Ive voted for alot of different parties since i was 18, some quite controversial though i had my reasons at the time. As for the main parties here in the UK you would have to look at the policies of each of the parties and decide which party will offer you the most as a voter.

Its easy to think that maybe the Lib Dems won't get into power but to be honest you want to be looking at the smaller picture as opposed to the larger one. The one that most people tend to vote in is the local elections, this is due to the fact that any party has a good chance of getting into power in local government which is where you will see the policies that you have looked over coming into effect. It's also the one where you have most say, in how your local area can be improved and what services they will offer.

In the larger picture there is little to choose between each of the main parties and their policies. MP's all know what people expect from government and the issues of Education, Crime, and Healthcare are all very prevellant in each of the parties manifesto's, year in year out.

Sometimes their is an independant who breaks away from convention and really shouts from the roof tops what the local people want in their constituancy and they can produce shock results in the national elections (i.e Martin Bell - a former news reporter, who won the suffolk area in 1997)

Ultimately though its up to you who you vote for, I think you have to vote as although its only one vote, it may be the one vote that tips the balance and secures your parties success.