Bios

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by kayber, Mar 17, 2007.

1. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:confused: :confused: :confused:
    have you tried going into the BIOS the traditional way (your mobo does use the traditional way)
    power on the system and press and hold down the <Del> key, then do the stuff in the BIOS[ot]i think i understand what you mean[/ot]

2. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

No i see the option for DEL to go to BIOS but it still boots me to this message.

"NEW CPU INSTALL. RUN SETUP OR RESTORE TO DEFAULTS. F1 for setup, F2 for LOAD DEFAULT"

(not word for word but close to it.)

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

setup means, BIOS setup, so you want to run setup
    when you see the screen below, you are in the BIOS
    [​IMG]
    click image to enlarge

BTW: i meant press & hold the Delete key on the keyboard, thats why i put <> around it

BTW: the above image is from your mobo manual

4. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

Yes I know...I went into the BIOS (the setup) as I said it doesn't let me change certain things under the CPU config part of the Bios.

What I can change I did, just to test if it would stop the message but it's not.
    I dont' know what the deal is the default load works fine.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

sorry

just go into the BIOS and press F10 to save and exit

Edit: i forgot, when your in the BIOS press F5 (to load defaults) before you press F10

6. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

"New CPU installed please run setup to configure your system.
    F1 To Load Setup
    F2 To Load Defaults"

Same message after I went into the bios (setup) restored default with F5 (it asked me if I wanted to load defaults I said yes.) Then F10 (Save and exit). Still getting it. Every time after it loads the ASUS logo screen, right after I see that top mesage.

I hit default so I can get to Windows and I'm working fine by doing that but I don't think I should be using it to get windows loaded. lol

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no, your right, i can't recreate it on my old system, cos i can't afford a new mobo[ot]my mobo is getting pretty old now, as you can see from "My Computer" on the right[/ot]i'll have another look at your mobo manual[ot]i'm actually using linux, cos it runs better on old hardware[/ot]

8. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

I figured flashing the bios would be the only way to fix it.

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

possibly, flashing the BIOS is only to be done as a last resort[ot]as you could permanently kill your mobo[/ot]but i've discovered this problem is quite common for Asus mobo's, 3 possible solutions exist
    • replace the BIOS battery
    • reset the BIOS
    • flash the BIOS (as you suggested)

first we'll try a BIOS reset (as it be most likely to fix the problem) remove the cover / lid of your computer & locate the three pins labeled CLRTC1 (next to the BIOS battery, a big watch battery) a small plastic jumper should be on pin number 1 and 2 to reset the BIOS pull the small jumper straight off pin numbers 1 & 2 and push that jumper onto pin numbers 2 & 3 and wait for at least 10 seconds then place the jumper back onto pins 1 & 2, congratulations you just reset your first BIOS, now turn on your system to see if it worked, has it ?

10. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

Actually have the paper manual i'm reading it. Says something about taking battery out before you change the jumpers. Do I need to do that, because I don't have another battery?

Want to make sure I don't mess anything up before i do this.

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no, removing the battery for 10 seconds and then putting it back in is jus another way to reset the BIOS but some people accidentally use tweesers to remove the battery which actually shorts the battery out, this drains all the power from the battery[ot]cos then you would have to buy a replacement battery[/ot]BTW: a BIOS battery is: Type CR2032

12. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

Ok..

If I do this though everything should be ok? Even if it doesn't fix it? I just got this PC working after 3 weeks of nothing and because of a medical situation I'm going to need it working for employment purposes this week lol So I'm skeptical about resetting it but if you think it will fix it I guess i'll try it.