Bizzare Issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by megamaced, Feb 16, 2008.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

My motherboard is an Asrock P4VM890 and is "supposed" to be able to run at an 200MHz bus speed. It's a socket 478 motherboard and is compatible with Williamette, Northwood & Prescott up to 3.4GHz. The motherboard is based around an VIA Northbridge: VIA® P4M890 & Southbridge: VIA® VT8237R Plus, but that's another story :D . So anyway, I decided to swap out my old P4 2.8GHz, 533MHz bus processor for an old P4 3.2GHz, 800MHz bus processor. I also replaced my 2 sticks of 512MB DDR333 with 2 sticks of 1024MB DDR400 memory. Sound simple so far? Well it should be....

After installing that lot and switching my computer on, I was greeted by an high pitched "squeeling noise". Not pleasent by any means. I went straight to the BIOS and noticed that while my processor was recognised as an 200MHz bus, the memory was set to 166MHz (or DDR333). Ubuntu could boot fine and there were no stability issues except for some reason the inbuilt NIC would not work correctly. It would not obtain an IP address and the minute I clicked on NetworkManager the computer would freeze.

I thought I might have been sold the wrong memory so I went back to the shop and replaced those two sticks with some more DDR400 memory of a different brand. However the exact same thing happened! At this point I realised it would be very unlikely (or unlucky?) to have been sold two more sticks of the incorrent memory twice.

In the BIOS I forced the memory speed from the "Auto" setting to DDR400. I rebooted my computer but the high pitched squeel remained. Ubuntu launched and again everything fine except the NIC.

I decided to go back into the BIOS and I slowly underclocked my processor (but leaving the memory set as DDR400), from 200MHz bus, down to 195MHz and finally to 193MHz where it is at now. At 193MHz the squeeling goes away and the NIC functions correctly. The memory clearly is DDR400 because my computer would not run stable at 193MHz if it wasn't

I have even flashed my BIOS to the latest version but this solved nothing.

So this leaves me puzzled! If my motherboard can support a 200MHz bus and the processor and memory run over 200MHz, what on earth is the problem! Why can I only achieve 193MHz? Can I blame this on VIA :devil: ?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

hi mega, i haven't seen you around that much lately

have you tried the new CPU with the old RAM
    i would, so, yes you can

Edit: it may also be a good idea to run memtest on the new RAM

3. megamaced

The old memory is DDR333 so it isn't suitable with the new processor, unless I really want to underclock my processor (which I don't).

Been really busy lately man. However I am gonna be spending a bit more time around these parts from now on :)

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

sh1t, should have googled that
    :jump2: :good: :jump2:

5. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

I have an asrock board, by default they always downclock DDR 400 to 333mhz. I just switched it back trouble free.

Try booting up with the old ram and the new cpu.
    If it still happens then that means the cpu is pretty :swear:ed up and you should never use it again.

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

@Ashton please change the swear word you posted to [noparse]:swear:ed[/noparse]

thank you

BTW: i'm asking you to change it because young eyes may see it / be watching

again, thank you, and don't reply quoting me as you will automatically include the noparse tags

Edit: thank you:jump2: :good: :jump2:

7. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Says donkey who has 2 women wearing very little for his signature, and earlier on said sh1t :D :D

Just kidding donkey, and why would young eyes (like 5 or 6 - anyone older than that knows swear words :D ) be reading forums about computer hardware?? :p

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

there's no need to justify yourself
    thats the law & the rules & personally i didn't invent either, i just try to follow them and replacing the i with a 1 is just because i don't think kids should swear, even though they do & i did as a kid, but that doesn't mean i agree with it

9. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

[OT]Fair enough. I wonder who decided that some words were 'swearing' and they should be banned?? I can't understand why people are offended by them either, they're no different to any other word! I don't use them much to avoid trouble.[/OT]

Sorry for getting off topic!

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

presumably admin only ban frequent offenders, personally, i swear like a sailor, but, i'm allowed because i'm over 18

i don't want anyone to get banned, that's why i ask people to change the word

Edit: they don't offer me either

11. megamaced

I have now confirmed this by reading the FAQs on the Asrock website. What a silly policy!

It doesn't explain why I can't acheive 200MHz even after I force the memory to DDR400 though. The processor is an Northwood 3.2GHz HT Pentium 4 and can definately do 800MHz (200MHz).

I am going to contact Asrock technical support and see what they make of it.

12. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

hey dude, is the high-pitch noise coming from the chipset or the cpu?

lolz asrock support, took like a week for them to reply to me

13. megamaced

I am not sure which component is making the funny noises. To be honest, I have been so busy this week I haven't even had time to check.

I think i'll leave this off til the weekend when hopefully I might have some spare time. Thanks for you help so far though, Ashton.