Bluetooth anyone?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by krinks, Mar 21, 2004.

1. krinks

krinks Geek Trainee

I was wondering if anyone has a Bluetooth network set up at home. What are your thoughts on it? How does it perform? Is it just as good as using network cables?

I have a computer upstairs and my housemates have one downstairs, with a loooong network cable attaching them together through a router. My wife also wants to get a laptop for work, and I thought Bluetooth would be a good way to let her use it anywhere in the house (or backyard) without the cables, and I wouldn't need the loooong cable that I have on my computer.

If anyone can give me thoughts on this, it'd be appreciated.

2. fostytou

fostytou Geek Trainee

Bluetooth is SLOW.... i recommend a netgear router.... you can get 802.11b ones for $25 or 802.11g ones for $45 now. It will save you alot of trouble and work ALOT better (especially range and everything). If you just want to use wireless internet every once in a while and already have a bluetooth laptop and pc to ad-hoc it to then just do that... but if you are going to use it >1/week then i would make a simple investment. On a side note... I LOVE my powerbook.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

fostytou is right, bluetooth isn't very good. It's pretty much nonexistant in the field anymore, so you'd be better off avoiding it. I like the WGT624 for home users running no services, or the FVM318 for SOHO (Small Office / Home Office) and users with more serious demands. The WGT624 is cheaper and provides security and features that are more than adequate for most home users out there. But the FVM318 is beefier, has better security, and can provide up to 70 simultaneous VPN tunnels.

Attached Files:

Sniper likes this.