Boot Error

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by mjd857, Jul 16, 2011.

1. mjd857

mjd857 Geek Trainee

So i recently installed a PCI wireless card in my computer so that i could have wireless access on my desktop computer. About a week or 2 after i installed the card the card would stop working and shut off. i determined that the problem with the card was the it was overheating because i also had a GPU and a conexant systems card for plugging in a telephone of some sort I think. Now whenever i try to boot the computer i get an error that says "Diskette drive 0 seek failure" and I'm not sure what to do about it. the computer seems to boot fine and it works correctly whenever I press F1. I'm thinking i have to uninstall a driver or something, but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me out on this.

2. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek

do you have a 3.5 floppy disk drive?
    there is something called floppy disk seek test and its failed so you get that message.
    do you know how to go into cmos/bios setup?
    when you turn on your computer usually it will say "press ?? to enter setup"
    just go in there and look where you can disable the "floppy disk seek at startup" or similar.
    if not then just disable the floppy drive as most likely you probably don't even use it.

3. mjd857

mjd857 Geek Trainee

Beautiful. just tried it and it worked perfectly, not a hitch when i booted up again. i was just wondering if that had anything to do with me removing the conexant PCI card, or was it another problem that came from the failure of the floppy drive? thanks again for your help also.

4. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek

not related.
    perhaps the floppy cable got slightly disconnected or the power cable pulled out when you were removing the card?
    nevertheless, who uses floppy drives these days.