Boot order priority

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by DavidNW, Dec 1, 2009.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hi,

Have not been around for sometime, so hope everyone is doing okay.

I'm currently dual booting XP & Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop (I have Ubuntu installed on an external USB drive in this case). XP boots first if I don't initiate Ubuntu from the menu. Can I change the boot order, so that Ubuntu boots first?

Thanks,

David.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

You could install a boot loader like GRUB (install it on the MBR). Put Ubuntu first and XP 2nd. The list is located in /boot/grub/menu.lst. I'll try to find instructions on how to change the file later today :)

3. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Thanks, that would be good. I also have XP and Ubuntu 9.10 on My Desktop upstairs, but that boots straight into Ubuntu! The laptop has to be different though and do the reverse!

David.

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hold the phone.... you already have a boot loader. The question is which one? Is it Ubuntu's or XP's. Unless you want to play around with boot loaders, the solution is already there. All you need to do is amend the existing bootloader.

XP -
    Stick the USB drive in and boot into XP. Then go to Control Panel - System - Advance (tab). There click on the 'Setting' in the 'Start up and recovery' area. In the drop down menu, you should have listed all operating system found on the system. If Ubuntu is listed there then proceed to amend the bootloader. Instructions are easy to come by like here - How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP

Ubuntu (Grub or Lilo, depending on your choice during installation) using Grub - Ubuntu Forums - View Single Post - how to change boot order for booting on XP?

Lilo - not sure and it is a bit trickier.... hope you are using Grub :chk:

5. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

"XP -
    Stick the USB drive in and boot into XP. Then go to Control Panel - System - Advance (tab). There click on the 'Setting' in the 'Start up and recovery' area. In the drop down menu, you should have listed all operating system found on the system. If Ubuntu is listed there then proceed to amend the bootloader".

Well done, sir! All that was needed was to swap XP for Ubuntu in the aforementioned menu and save the changes - simple as that! So, thanks very much!

David.

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

just a quickie DavidNW,

it may be of interest to you to learn how we quote another user and quote something from somewhere else, to quote something we use the quote tags

[noparse]
    [/noparse]

this returns
    and to quote a users previous text like this

[noparse]
    [/noparse]

this returns
    the number after the ; is the post number and it adds the active arrow, you don't have to add it though, simply using

[noparse]
    [/noparse]

returns

have a try,

a brief reminder exists on the BBCode page

BTW: i used the noparse tags to allow tag explanation