Building a new PC...group effort! =)

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by SirDeity, Feb 1, 2003.

1. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

2. syngod

syngod Moderator

I wouldn't worry about the ram, just because its not listed doesn't mean it won't work it just means Asus hasn't tested it with it's board yet.

If you're using a name brand and not generic memory, I'd say the memory should work in 99% of all cases. I'm using 2 sticks of this with the A7N8X Deluxe and have no problems with it.

Since Asus was the first company in AMD's AMD Assuredâ„¢ Program, you shouldn't have any problems with them quickly adding support for new processors as they come out as long as AMD doesn't change the design.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

sirdeity : the ram shown in the link you provided will work, I guess asus made a mistake by writing CAS2.5
    I went on corsair's website and there is no CAS2.5 memory so go ahead and buy it !

that's a nice article, you can see that if you wanna wait for the next cpu, you'll always wait as they are already planning to release a 3200+ cpu.

4. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

syngod, are you saying that the 2.0 latency ram will work with the motherboard at 2.0 latency? Are you saying it will work on the motherboard, but only at 2.5 latency? Or will it not work at all, like Harrack said?

What latency is the ram you have? The latency is the only aspect of the ram in question.

5. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

The only reason I am considering waiting for the XP 3000+ CPU is because the release date is this Thursday. The computer store expects to have some in next week. If I only have to wait about 1-2 weeks maximum, then it's worth the wait. I'm not willing to wait any number of months though. It is my understanding that a new CPU is released approximately every 6 months. In that perspective, a mere week is fortunate timing.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I never said it would not work.
    all I said is that it was not supported according to the website.
    like syngod said, not supported does not mean it won'T work, it just mean it was not tested.

as I said in my previous post, asus made a mistake on their website by indicating CL2.5, because the type of memory they recommend is in fact CL2 (Ilooked it up on corsair's website)

I'm sorry I made you postpone your order, I took for granted asus wrote the numbers the right way, I should have checked corsair's website earlier

7. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

It's no problem at all Harrack. Who knows, maybe the new XP 3000+ CPU will in fact be available for purchase within the next two weeks. If so, then I should be thanking you for accidentally convincing me to postpone the order. In either case, if it weren't for you, syngod, and Big B then I wouldn't have any clue what to get. Thank you for all your help, regardless of any confusions.

I think everything is decided now. When I go on Wednesday I'll finalize everything. Until then, please continue to place further comments and if there are any doubts, even if they are questionable ones, please let me know. "It's better safe than sorry." --Dear Ol' mother!

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's good to be clear on stuff ya don't understand before jumping in. The fun part comes when ya get everything in.:)