Burning movie on blank dvd space 4.7gig

Discussion in 'General Software' started by tolet, Jan 3, 2009.

1. tolet

tolet Geek Trainee

I was wondering if you can help. I have just burnt a dvd movie using nero 7 which was fantastic. My blank DVD can hold 4.7gig. An avreage movie is 750 mb. I have tried to burn 2 movies now and it states there is not enough space?

Am I doing anything wrong.Thank you . Tony

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Nero will turn the 750 mb file into a different format which takes up much more space, this is so it can be played on your DVD player.

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

If your DVD player can play compressed formats such as Divx or Xvid, you can possibly burn a number of movies onto one DVD. Just make sure you are burning a data disk and not a DVD (as in movie).

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Allot of movies these days are in different formats, and you will need certain software to make them work... most movies are in ISO. plus other formats...I used convert DVD if that helps..

5. tolet

tolet Geek Trainee

ok so what dvd size should i buy please

6. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Ok, lets put a bit of order into it -

There are three ways to place movies onto a removable disk (DVD or CD):
    1. Creating a movie DVD type disk - The suite will convert the video stream (what format is accepted depends on the suite) to an MPEG2 movie (encoding) and then build a DVD movie type file system (authoring). Finally the suit will burn the new file system to a DVD. Some suites will allow you to add menus etc. If you have a Dual Layer drive it will allow you to burn Dual Layered disks which have nearly double the capacity and can help to achieve either longer films or films at much higher quality. When you create movie type DVD and the suite has a preset quality setting it will wish to create a certain size file system. If you then wish to add more streams to the original score, the suite might complain that under the current settings, it will not be possible to fit the projected file system onto the chosen media. In this case you may wish to reduce the quality settings (if you can) to hopefully reduce the size of the projected file system.
    2. Creating a VCD or SVCD movie type disk - this works similarly to the DVD option but is intended to be used in much smaller disks (750MB). The suite will encode the stream and then author it for a VCD or SVCD type file system. Again there is a limit for the amount of information which you can fit onto one disk.
    3. Creating a data type DVD - you simply write the movie files as they are onto a disk. This disk can then be used in a DVD player which supports the playing of the type of files on the disk. This can be done by any type of disk burning suite. To see how much space is required simply add the sizes of all files assuming that 1000MB = 1GB.

I have a feeling that Nero is trying to do as described in 1. When you try to add more video streams it complains that it will not be able to do as you wish using the selected media.

7. tolet

tolet Geek Trainee

Excellent. thank you for the advise but if i want to buy a dvd instaed of buying the 4.7gig which one shoukld i buy please

8. tolet

tolet Geek Trainee

Sorry I am only trying to burn 1 movie onto a 4.7gig blank dvd and it states no space. Which blank DVD should I buy please.
    :)

9. Sniper

You can buy dual-layer dvd+r disc, there double the size but you need to make sure your dvd player can handle that type of disc.

10. tolet

tolet Geek Trainee

Oh ok can I not just buy a normal blank dvd like 6 gig capacity. :)

11. Sniper

12. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I still find it difficult to understand why you cannot fit the finished product on a 4.7GB disk. From What I remember, from using Nero, you should be able to TELL the program what size the end product is to be. Either by selecting a specific media or quality rate which will enable you to use the standard 4.7GB disk. However, I have not used Nero in a long time, certainly not version 7. So I could be wrong.....

13. Sniper

you probably could but at the cost of image quality, most likely unwatchable unless its divx or something.