Can't copy files to floppy

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by jaffacake2000, Aug 16, 2002.

1. jaffacake2000

jaffacake2000 Geek Trainee

My floppy drive won't let me copy files to the disk anymore. I keep getting the message the floppy disk maybe write protected, check and try again.

I checked, its not write protected. I've tried several disk (they're all from different packs) whether its mine, someone elses or new, it does the same thing.

I have a clean install of windows and even that isn't working. I've checked in device manager for any conflicts - none whatsoever.

However, i *can* read and open files on the floppy(s), and copy from the floppy to the hard drive.

I've double checked if any of my floppys are write protected.

What could be wrong? i dunno.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Try a different floppy drive and/or floppy cable. I'm not sure if that's the answer, but if you know it's on your end with those disks, there's not a whole lot of sense trying it on another computer---which wouldn't be a bad idea necessarily.

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

It does seem you have a bad floppy drive! have you tried it in a different system? or have you done somthing which might have caused this to happen? :confused:

4. jaffacake2000

jaffacake2000 Geek Trainee

Thanx guys, i'll try all that. no, i havent done anything to cause it happen...all i know is i was copying a file to someone elses disk which he brought some work on to edit on my pc and after hes gone the next day when i want to copy *my* files, i cant anymore. It can't be a virus since i have Norton Anti-virus2002, although a scan the next day, did pick up a .js virus.