can't disconnect

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by do50, Oct 28, 2004.

1. do50

do50 Big Geek

Yesterday I finally got online. After posting here and sending some email, I couldn't disconnect. ????

I clicked on the monitor icon, clicked on disconnect... nothing. Went to the control panel and tried to close the connection there... nothing. Finally physically disconnected the phone jack from the wall. Something isn't right here. Any ideas on where the problem is?

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

*Could* be your ISP. Who are you with? Unlikely though.

I'm guessing you already scanned for spyware/adware etc?

do50 likes this.
  3. Addis

Addis The King

Sometimes it used to do that with me. Are you still able to access the net after you click disconnect? If not then its just a bug which doesn't go away.

4. do50

do50 Big Geek

Thanks for the input, guys!

I'm with Isomedia. Hope to call them today.

No, I haven't done spyware or anything.... This is the first time the computer has been online in 2 1/2 years. It was never intended to be online and probably has no virus protection or, if it does, it's way out of date... (this forum and my yahoo email were the only sites I went to).

I wasn't able to go back online with that connection (A). Had to make a new connection(B) (again) in order to connect. That one closed OK. The next new connection(C) had all the same settings and couldn't connect at all. Back to the "cannot display web page" screen. I was able to go back on line with (B) again, but after closing couldn't go back online.

5. evanjanis

evanjanis Geek Trainee

You might have a problem with the software or the drivers for your dial-up. I not really good with dial-up stuff because i run two cable and DSL at my other house if you can get DSL or Cable get it. But anyway yeah call your isp they have support that deal only with their software they can help you with that stuff

6. do50

do50 Big Geek

Finally getting around to posting the solution...
    I have Win2000 pro with Service Pack 2

In Settings - Internet Connections
    Networking
    type of dial up server I am calling
    settings - ppp settings dialogue box
    there are three boxes (which are all checked by default - this is the problem)
    Enable LCP.... should be checked
    Enable software compression ... should be checked
    Negotiate multi-link for single link connections .... should NOT be checked

No more problems! I did not figure this out...Isomedia support told me, but thought this only applied to service pack 1.

7. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

hell I'd have just yanked out the cables, but thats me :p

8. Addis

Addis The King

Thats what I did when i had it but that was cause I had to pull an extension lead whenever I wanted to use the net so I just unplugged and put it back.