Cant get rid of Bearshare!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by fuzzyburt, May 18, 2006.

1. fuzzyburt

fuzzyburt Geek Trainee

Please can somebody help me get Bearshare and "WhenUsave" programs off my PC, each time I try to remove it will not allow me! Can anybody please help?? :swear: :swear:

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Cant get rid of Bearshare! :swear:

How are you trying to uninistall them? Why won't they remove? What error messages are you getting?

Need more information please

3. Addis

Addis The King

Cant get rid of Bearshare! :swear:

I'm not sure if Bearshare has spyware at the moment. I'd never touch the program. Try using a anti-spyware program like Ad-aware or Spybot S&D.

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

if you have uninstalled that program and they've left some files which you want to delete. Just enter in safe mode and try there or alternatively if you tried to uninstall that program and its not allowing you to do that than also go in safe mode and delete it. But what comes in my mind after that is about registry files, so you might be using a registry cleaner after that. Good luck

5. Sabot

Sabot Geek Trainee

Download

I recommend using that. Really good at cleaning stuff of.

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

First try add/remover programs,then look for the folder under program files,if there delete it. Next if it is still there then it is in your Registry..You will have to remove from REG.. Now this can be tricky to do,and cause some problems if done wrong. Find a good REG cleaner first to see if you can remove them.

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Tuneup Utilities 2006 (the trial version is free) will clean your registry, delete unused files, and purge any program you like. I highly recommend it.

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I use that program and it is real good. Also check out this one.
    Amust Registry cleaner..

9. Geekgirl

Geekgirl Geek Trainee

It seems your system may be riddled with adware/spyware. Here are some programs to use.
    Bearshare is a P2P file sharing program. I will warn you that engaging in this activity and having this kind of software installed on your machine will always make you more susceptible to infections.

Adaware SE check for any updates before running it.
    Get the plug-in for fixing VX2 variants. You can download it at this SITE
    To run this tool, install to the hard drive, then open Ad-aware->Add-ons and select VX2 Cleaner. Then click Run Tool and OK to start it. If it's clean, it will say Status System Clean. Otherwise, you will have to click on the Clean button to remove the VX2 infection.

Spybot S&D . Run Spybot and click on the 'Search for Updates' button. Install any updates that are available. Next click on the 'Check for Problems' button. Let it run the scan. If it finds something, check all those in RED and hit the Fix Selected Problems button. Exit Spybot. If you keep getting the DSO Exploit entries, even after you updated Windows and fixed them, then download the Spybot DSO Exploit Fix and install it over the current Spybot installation.

The Temp folders should be cleaned out periodically as installation programs and hijack programs leave a lot of junk there. Download CleanUp! (Alternate Link if main link don't work) and install it and run it.

Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu). Set the program up as follows:

*Click "Options..."
    *Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
    *Put a check next to the following:
    Empty Recycle Bins
    Delete Cookies
    Delete Prefetch files
    [X]Scan local drives for temporary files (Please uncheck this option)
    Cleanup! All Users
    Click OK
    Press the CleanUp! button to start the program. Reboot/logoff when prompted.

Zone Alarm Easy-to-use firewall blocks hackers and other unknown threats. Stealth mode automatically makes your PC invisible to anyone on the Internet.

SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against spyware. SpywareGuard now also features Download Protection and Browser Hijacking Protection!

Spyware Blaster. SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web.

Windows Defender. Help protect your PC from spyware and other potentially unwanted software.

Download the trial version of Ewido Security Suite

· Install Ewido.
    · During the installation, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
    · Launch ewido.
    · It will prompt you to update click the OK button and it will go to the main screen.
    · On the left side of the main screen click update.
    · Click on Start and let it update.
    · DO NOT run a scan yet.

Restart your computer into Safe Mode now.
    (Start tapping the F8 key at Startup, before the Windows logo screen).
    Perform the following steps in Safe Mode:

* Run Ewido:
    Click on scanner
    Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
    During the scan it will prompt you to clean files, click OK.
    When the scan is finished, look at the bottom of the screen and click the Save report button.
    Save the report to your desktop.

Reboot.

Perform an online scan with Internet Explorer with Panda ActiveScan

Click on the "Free To Use ActiveScan" located on the top right hand corner
    1. Click Check Now and a "pop up" window will appear. * Please ensure that your pop up blocker doesn't block it *
    2. Enter your e-mail address, country, and state & click Scan Now * The download of the 8 MB Panda's ActiveX control will take place *
    Begin the scan by selecting My Computer
    • If it finds any malware, it will offer you a report.[*] Please ignore any entry it finds and the offer to buy the program to remove the entry, as we will address this later. [*] Click on See report then click Save report
    * You needn't remain online while it's doing the scan but you have to re-connect after it has finished to see the report.
    * Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan

Anything not removed by Panda will need removed manually

Good luck

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Brilliant post Geekgirl, that's was really helpful even if I didn't have his problem.