Can't install win 2k or xp

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by RZA, Jan 7, 2002.

1. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

When i install windows 2000 pro it says that it can't install the bootmenu, when i do a upgrade from win me it stops on the next restart.
    Any1 plz help me
    Windows Me sucks
    i've tried many things I even low formated my drive to get rig of the bootsector
    Now I'm stuck with win me :(

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Are you overclocking at all?

Have you tried a clean install (i.e. format the drive then install 2k)

Judging by the info in the GF2MX400 thread, I'd say that this is looking more like that mobo than anything else.

3. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

Nope it aint overclocked at all.
    And ive trid clean install and upgrade none worked
    But i can install win me and 98 so can it still be my mobo ?

4. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

Oh yea I've also formated my drive
    even low formated it

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Take out any thing which is not needed right from the start, like you're modem or a network card and then Clean Install Win 2k, It might work and If it does you can install the modem later.

Have you tried Win XP? I'm sure you'll be able to get it from some where ;)

let us know how it goes.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Hmmm.
    The only thing is, XP is quite similar to 2k, and can be just as finicky about hardware.

7. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Although XP will more likely get you at least past the install stages as opposed to 2000 which, from personal experience, won't if it doesn't like your hardware config.....like a damn NIC, which took me ages to work out was the stupid problem! :smash: ......ahem, excuse me. :sick:

8. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

Yea i tried win xp stops also at the next restart :(
    but when i can install win me and 98 shouldn't i be able to install win 2k or xp ?
    And im gonna take all the stuff out my putr in the weekend i now need it for school so i cant have a not working putr

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Tried resetting the BIOS to the defaults?

10. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

Yep

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm seriously thinking you have a bad motherboard. Not to be the bearer of bad news, but that's what it really looks like to me.

12. k2bladesk8er

k2bladesk8er Geek Trainee

Its not the motherboard. If it was the motherboard than considering u have a 1.3 than it wouldnt even let u past POST. Ok maybe u have a bad 2000 cd. Try formatting one for 20gig and partition another for 20 gig install WIN 98 SE than on the other install win 2000 and than IF it works tell me if it works u can go into the NTlodr which i will explain later and make sure it goes into 2000 first. Its actually a good thing to put both on. 98 has a more stable networking and 2000 is good but not as stable. PLEASE do not go into xp please i beg of you lol.

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've been through some bad motherboards, and they did post, and go past it. Install Windows, no, but the did boot. If the CPU is out of the socket, or bad, then you won't boot up, much like if you don't have any ram in.

Have you tried this disc on another PC you're sure works?

Also, try removing your excessive components (NIC, modem, sound card, etc) and then see if you can get the OS installed, then add the components.

For gaming purposes, XP will serve you very well, at least in my experience.

14. k2bladesk8er

NO

First of all he has a 1.3ghz the system board is too good for it to start up without any RAM in it. And its not the motherboard i GUARNTEE IT. You must have the best version and the only good version of XP cause everyone i know and including me have had LOTS of problems playing games on XP it doesnt like a WHOLE lot of games. But its cool u DONT need a new mother board. Format and partition 2 drives if that doesnt work than maybe your comp doesnt like 2000 like mine doesnt like linux. But oh well. Goodluck........XP----->:smash:<-----WIN2000

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Why must he have a certain version of an OS? Would you care to explain that to me?

How can you be sure it's not the motherboard?
    Unless his BIOS isn't Win2k compliant (it did happen early on), he shouldn't be having this problem.

16. k2bladesk8er

ummm no

It doesnt matter if your BIOS is win2k compliant or not that is not the case here. Your BIOS could be from a 133mhz sysytem. All u need is the system reqiurements for the OS and the system requirements do not say A NEW BIOS. lol. Sorry bro. Ive been working on computers for along time and have installed 2000 on a 5 year old BIOS that was in a 133 and it worked fine so dont tell me the BIOS is not win2k compliant. It wouldnt be the BIOS it would be the system and the system sounds brand new. And i never said he had to use a specific OS i just gave comments and what i recomend.

17. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Hmmm...I think I'm thinking about the ACPI-compliant BIOSes that were causing trouble.

18. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

lets calm down people :D if RZA has solved the problem, then he will let us know...

19. k2bladesk8er

check it out bucky

They dont even make those bios's anymore and he already said he got a NEW computer and i was installing win2k. Geeze read the context bro.

20. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Okay, the whole of idea of places like this is to give idea's in order to troubleshoot a problem. Once one potential solution has been dismissed, then you can move onto another. I'm sure everyone will agree, pretty much common sense really.

Gezz, no point in getting the arse with other members over it.

Once the starter of the thread has dismissed the potential solution, they will say. :p